Angry Louisiana cops strangle man to death after he asks to see his arrest warrant

I was wondering what the dispute was about, so I found an article form when this occurred.

Martel told The Town Talk on Friday that Frank was wanted on two warrants — simple trespassing and attempted unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling — with a bond set at $100,000. The warrants were issued after an Oct. 8 incident that had been reported in the Marksville area, he said.
Martel also said Frank had a previous arrest record with the department, including five burglaries or attempted burglaries in 2016.
Todd said Frank had moved back to Avoyelles Parish from Houston after serving in the U.S. Air Force, including a stint in Afghanistan. She said her cousin was autistic and suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.
She admitted in her first video that her cousin had been in trouble in the past. But she said he had served his time for that. She also went live a second time, on Sunday, to clarify some of her original comments.

6 Likes

wow, with hindsight, I see that they should have cuffed him first, then it would have been much simpler to take him off the tractor to kill him

FTFY.

Snark can be short, Discourse.

1 Like

Yet again:

15 Likes

Why would they leave it in the office?

8 Likes

I had a maniacal neighbor who insisted on letting his German Shepherd run in my yard. I had two young children and a small dog (that had already been bitten by the Shepherd). After warning the neighbor three times and getting no cooperation I got the police involved. I can assure you that if the police had killed my neighbor I would feel guilty about it every day for the rest of my life.
Sometimes the police are your only reasonable recourse.

4 Likes

tor can get around this for some websites, but not all. Depends on how sophisticated the IT department is, I think.

2 Likes

If they didn’t set out specifically to arrest him, but rather pulled him over for something, checked his ID, radioed in / looked up his name on their in-car laptop, and found that there was an outstanding arrest warrant - it’s entirely normal that they would not have a paper copy of the warrant on hand.

Traffic cops don’t drive around with paper copies of every single arrest warrant in the state (including ones issued after they left the station) just in case they should pull someone over for running a red, who happens to have an outstanding warrant from another county, who happens to ask to see it before submitting to arrest.

None of which justifies the cops murdering the man.

5 Likes

Warrant issue aside:

Cops are not supposed to be allowed to arbitrarily subvert the so’called ‘rule of law’ and execute suspects on fucking sight.

23 Likes

Well I didn’t mention it specifically, but this high profile case showed 1) how dangerous the hold can be and 2) how much backlash can arise. Although, you know, if there were no consequences legally…

My friend teaches self defense and if he or I or any regular person used such a hold and killed someone, we would probably be up on manslaughter charges at the very least.

2 Likes

At first I thought this was parody and a reference to the Bowling Green Massacre, but it turns out it’s a real quote.

One of the officers uses a racial slur at 3:20 in the body cam footage. Maybe they did it more than once. I stopped watching.

5 Likes

@TornPaperNapkin yes, my understanding is that it takes six minutes to strangle someone. Six minutes. That’s an awful long time to have hands squeezing your neck, choking the life out of you. That poor man.

6 Likes

What’s an even worse sign of how common this atrociousness is, is that this tragedy happened almost a year ago, but it’s only now getting “air time” because the family of the victim filed a civil rights claim against the police.

18 Likes

This “left it at the office” excuse is bullshit. Was there even a warrant in the first place? And I want to see some time stamps. Dollars to donuts they got a judge to hurry up and issue one when they realized they royally fucked up and now had a body on their hands.

3 Likes

No, no, you got it all wrong. They’ll be given paid leave.

Disgusting.
Paid leave effective now! Get out of my sight.
And that is the end to this story.

1 Like

I seriously doubt your grasp on racial dynamics in the US “heartland.”

1 Like

Ditto. Racial dynamics vary wildly through out the “heartland” and the South. To assume it was the neighbor’s intention is just that.

Did you watch the video? This guy was practically executed in public. A crowd was present. Austin, Texas this is not.

1 Like

But even in (at least near-) death, they are accusing him of resisting - “He’s deadweighting”.

2 Likes