Angry mom texts 35-year-old man instead of her daughter, hilarity and outrage ensues

Yep, seems fake to me too.

3 Likes

That hour or so I took when I first got a smart phone to make sure all the emails and phone numbers of friends and family were properly inputted into the phone’s address book? Time extremely well spent.

6 Likes

For some people, putting contacts into a phone’s address book is something they won’t bother to do, because too complicated/time consuming.

Never underestimate the incompetence of the technically inept.

18 Likes

When do you start your job at Snopes?

13 Likes

It seemed like a friend of his pulling his leg (long before he said that), but when it got to the angry denunciations, that bit, at least, seemed all too plausible. I recollect a friend in college got a call on his dorm phone from a father trying to reach his daughter, who was also apparently in college. Apparently dad didn’t believe he reached the wrong number and got increasingly angry as to why this young man was in his daughter’s room and wasn’t letting her speak to him.
If this text conversation were real, the best strategy would have been to play it completely straight as himself - “I guess I could pick up some turkey and milk from the store, but I don’t know where you live,” “I think I’d rather see Cezanne et moi, rather than Boss Baby, thanks” etc.

7 Likes

Holy hell, I never knew there was an actual list.

14 Likes

It has never been that much of a secret, I got the link from a @beschizza post IIRC.

10 Likes

It would be a heck of a lot funnier if I didn’t know there was a teenage girl who has to live with that horrible woman.

37 Likes

Of course someone asked me if I was disappointed the first time I complained about something back when I was a noob, but they never bothered to link the list.

I’d probably have laughed and answered differently if they had.

9 Likes

I became aware of it when you were on time-out.

1 Like

Which time? “Baby’s” been ‘put in a corner’ a whopping 3 times now.

11 Likes

Holy fuck, how did you ever manage that?

(Ob. “Asking for a friend.”)

8 Likes

That’s too funny. But you might be onto something.

But you did not persuade me, Nicholas

1 Like

It must be my dazzling personality and my knack for posting witty graphic images.

Or maybe it’s the shoes.

##“The shoes? It’s gotta be the shoes!

15 Likes

Poor Jess’s CC.

6 Likes

Gahhhhhh, whose mother’s virtue do I have to denigrate to get on that list already?

I’ve been commenting for ten years now and I’ve been disappointed in BoingBoing almost as many times as it’s been disappointed in me! Or at least called me a fascist. (Although in fairness you guys hardly ever do that from mod accounts anymore.)

Somebody get me on there or I’ll be… disappointed in BoingBoing. Checkmate!

5 Likes

What you just typed didn’t sound sincere…

4 Likes

You can’t get on it by design, you have to legitimately use the magic word without prompting or conscious intent.

IMO the list is a great in-joke that works best in the context of the commentariat and I encourage folks not to use it to context-collapse the dearly disappointed in other venues.

23 Likes

Once every couple months or so I get a VM on my google voice number directed at “Dan” from this guy who’s in real estate in some fashion and he leaves a VM. To which I reply back via the text thing on there - “wrong number, dude”.

Here’s the last one -
“Hey… Just sent you a link for a foreclosure property I can pick up in Lake Arrowhead… 4,000 sq ft. Flip it in 6 months and make 100K plus. Take a look at it… Thoughts… Deck needs work but comps are up in the 700k. Could pick it up for 375K”

2 Likes