Anime running vs the actual thing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/24/anime-running-vs-the-actual-th.html

8 Likes

Oh, the force of DRAG, I’m with you darling.

7 Likes

anime running looks like what runners do when they try to nose at the line, but they never run in the cock-eyed posture. No counter balance, does not make any sense.

2 Likes

I’ll bet on longer runs the difference is even worse. Hunching forward like that has got to get in the way of cycling your diaphragm. While A 50m sprint will be pretty anaerobic, longer distance will demand more from your lungs.

3 Likes

I’m gonna guess evolution has worked out the whole efficient running thing pretty well, especially considering how crucial to our survival it is. Well, was…

On the other hand, not to change the subject, but I’m all for AI, or even Anime, working out a better way for us to run. It seems we’re learning from AI (if not Japanese cartoons) almost every day how wrong we’re doing fairly basic things.

2 Likes

Anime running exists at all because it’s cheaper to animate static arms.

13 Likes

As amusing as that is to watch, Id be even more amused to see a computer sim expert run enough scenarios to determine what kind of physics anime characters experience, to make that the most efficient way to run.

Im imagining a very dense atmosphere at ground level, that means they must push their way through as if we were running through water…

1 Like

Assume for a second I’ve never watched an Anime, the video has no example of what this is compared to normal running.

Unless there’s a headband and a character sorta squinting with anger… ?

1 Like

Relevant:

2 Likes

This is anime (really just naruto) running

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/290/210/3d0.gif

You only have to animate the legs instead of both arms and legs.

2 Likes

Watching her running form in slow motion is like looking at fine art.

I am more of a distance runner, so I was surprised at her relatively short looking strides. Could also be body type. I have seen crazy fast runners of various distances with running forms that should just not work.

2 Likes

Legs? Pah.

giphy-2

6 Likes

I saw at least three direct comparisons including the default thumbnail, or did you mean something else?

1 Like

That’s definitely why it’s so common but I think it originated with depictions of warriors running with weapons held back to avoid the possibility of falling on them. The safest way of running with scissors.

3 Likes
5 Likes

But did they test it with a trained ninja who’s practiced at that style? /s

2 Likes

i figured the danger to the face was the reason for the forehead protector. i’ve watched naruto and i can’t see any other reason to put a ‘shield’ in only that location.

1 Like
1 Like

For real distance-eating speed, you have to jump through the trees, stepping off on branches, somehow without ever catching any in the face. (Some of the Naruto animation, especially during long conversations on the fly is really awful.)

Wait, I think I know the problem! In order for ninja running to work, you have to loudly announce which ninja secret move that you’re using.

3 Likes

I-I've seen that technique before!~

3 Likes