Anita Hill rejected Joe Biden's fauxpology

The writers at The Onion are excited, at least.

I’m gonna go with wanting him not to get anywhere close to winning the nomination. But if he wins a few states, gets a good speaking slot at the 2020 convention, at least there’s a Diamond Joe silver lining to it.

1 Like

So the other half of the sentence “Believe all women” is “unless it’s Joe Biden”??

Our society seems to be at this weird crossroads where we are expected to believe Anita Hill now, but supposed to give a blanket pass to everyone who didn’t when it mattered most.

3 Likes

Yeah, the other half of the sentence appears to be “when it’s politically convenient”.

2 Likes

He was responsible for ensuring the Dem Congress supported the Dem POTUS. And that failed to happen. Given the rest of his track from his entire time in public service, I have to presume he failed to perform whether or not that was the complete reason for the 2010 disaster.
And somehow ebverything awfulk the Dems have done for decades has some of his fingerprints on it.

No hot take, just Biden’s unacceptable record.

1 Like

Nah.

There was a big enthusiasm gap in 2010 (I could post some links to contemporaneous fivethirtyeight.com posts about it), including the rise of the Tea Party; the role racial animus against Obama played in that; typical losses to the president’s party in the first midterm election after he or she wins – the electorate often acts like a thermostat that way, with 2002 being pretty much the only exception in recent memory; a number of Democratic incumbents from moderate and conservative districts who took hard votes in favor of the ACA, which was quite unpopular at the time; the economy was crap, if not on the edge of absolute disaster any more, which worked to the advantage of the dem side in 2008 but ironically against them when they couldn’t fix everything in a scant 2 years; and substantial overperformance over what the mean result would have been in 2008 due to Obama’s coattails, especially in swing states, what with the McCain campaign’s decision to try to nationalize the election and run nationwide TV commercials rather than running a heavy swing-state ground game.

I’m not trying to blunt any other criticisms of Biden you or others on this thread make. I agree with a lot of what I see on thread already. I just think it’s off base to lay this particular failure at his doorstep.

And if Biden somehow emerges with the nomination after all, I will sure as hell vote for him in the 2020 general.

1 Like

That is so uncomfortable. I can’t make it through the first round of nuzzling.

1 Like

The “lost” enthusiasm resulted from the Democrats in Congress being unenthusiastic with the ACA they just passed and their half-assed response to the 2008 financial collapse. Since Biden was the White House’s point man for Congress, I think he deserves a good part of the responsibility of the 2009-2010 debacle. And as for disappointments with his fingerprints on it, there’ve been sooo many others. Waiting for his apology for putting Clarence Thomas on the SCOTUS bench.

My disdain for the corporate Dem and BS artist supreme notwithstanding, of course I’d vote Biden over Trump. I mean, no brainer there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.