Anker's PowerHouse is the biggest "portable" power pack yet

[Read the post]

All it’s missing is a key to the restroom.

2 Likes

Oh, I was so disappoint.

3 Likes

Besides it looking ugly, is there any disadvantage to just using a 12v gel-cell and a car usb power adapter? 5 Cs is pretty steep for all that.

1 Like

User-friendliness, I guess – all the hookups for all your gadgets in a box that’ll probably last a weekend trip no matter what you use it for. Lithium means less worries about discharging and memory and whatnot either.

The “can I get this for grandpa for his RV for christmas” factor.

Joel told me about this: http://www.goalzero.com/p/164/goal-zero-yeti-150-solar-generator

Which looks like a compromise. Cheaper lead-acid battery but with all the hookups.

2 Likes

120,000 mAh

Any particular reason not to write 120 Ah? I mean, you’re not writing advertising copy, and the BB readership is mostly technically literate, I think. You don’t have to sell the thing by putting in a lot of pointless zeroes.

Edit: “The Pointless Zeroes” is the name of my new indie band, btw.

2 Likes

Because mAh is the way people with cell phones relate to batter capacity.

I thought it was interesting that while each product holds the same charge, the Yeti (lead-acid battery, aimed at handier, offroadier set used to dealing with power hardware) is marketed with Ah, but the Anker (lithium, aimed at people who never leave behind their iPhones and Mac Books Air) use mAh. To the former a brick-sized battery is something small; to the latter it’s something enormous.

I’m going to henceforth report the charge held by batteries in coulombs, so that no-one will be happy.

8 Likes

432 KC

2 Likes

So nowhere do I see a number for maximum Watts output of this thing.
1000W? 300W? 100W? 30W? 10W?

Just a review by someone who doesn’t know the difference between Volts and Watts.
The problem is not “high voltage” devices.
110 is the AC voltage, both for laptop chargers and hair dryers.
The problem is one needs maybe 110 watts and the other needs 1000 or more.

The title on Amazon says 400Wh, which might make it more comparable to the Yeti 400 than the Yeti 150. But Anker claims 120Ah vs 33Ah for the Yeti 400, which is where I admit that I don’t know enough about electricity to judge these things.

After a lengthy weather-related power outage, I considered getting one as a solar-rechargeable emergency power supply, but couldn’t convince myself that it would be worth the cost for one big enough. Next time the power is out for a week may convince me.

Yeah. My eyes tend to glaze over at the word milliamps. 120 Amps literally knocks my socks off.

2 Likes

120,000mAh

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Start using proper units folks!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.