Anonymous threatens to dump real names of 1,000 KKK members

We shouldn’t have to wait for anonymous to expose a roster to take whatever action you imagine being taken against these bad authority figures. Most racists in positions of authority expose themselves through their actions, as we have repeatedly seen.

1 Like

In spite of the hoods they wear for public ceremonies Klan members seem to take pride in their affiliation so the “exposure” may not amount to much. It would surprise me if any politicians or other prominent figures are actually members. They may have Klannish views but are too afraid of the possible public backlash if they were outed as members to actually join.

I also think the Klan itself, to the extent that it’s a unified organization, would trumpet any prominent members.

Then again maybe I’m overthinking this. After all we’re talking about people stupid enough to join the KKK.

3 Likes

This presupposes that “identity” itself is a real, immutable property of people. Most people seem to assume that it is, but then again, they are programmed to. For those who find personal identity to be suspect, anonymity may indeed seem more accurate.

Hear, hear!

1 Like

AT what point was Jimmy Carter a Klansman? Maybe you’re confusing him with Robert Byrd, who for sure was in the KKK?

5 Likes

Yeah, that totally doesn’t compute.

Except for the few dudes who actually aren’t KKK and get named… that would be very rough on them. But overall, 99% agree. Fuck them, they are bastards that need to be a thing of the past.

your lack of spelling and grammar proves his stupid point…

ETA: Looks like @Falcor may have some indigestion.

Hi Deborah! Hope you stick around.

You’ll find a lot of people here who don’t understand why you think the way you do.

As long as you’re civil, we really want to hear what you think and why.

It’s a great start. Tell us more.

3 Likes

OT(very), but I’ve just noticed your avatar is John Waters. Previously, I’d just registered ‘shiny forehead’ and assumed it was David Cameron.

1 Like

Carter as a KKK member? yeah, it doesn’t. Dude runs a human rights organization out of his presidential library. I saw Ta-Nehisi Coates there recently. I doubt Coates would go hang out somewhere that was honoring a known Klansman. @Yaakov_Zelig clearly doesn’t know Carter other than that he’s a southern democrat. Plenty of southern dems are or were virulent racists. Carter ain’t one of them.

7 Likes
1 Like

Bumping this, as what’s purported to be an initial dump of selected names, concentrating specifically on politicians, has hit the web. If it’s indeed part of their promised list then the amount of effort that went into ensuring that it’s accurate appears to be sweet fuck all.

To just cherry pick the most egregious example from it: they have identified a politician who is Catholic,* has a very public history of support for civil rights (for both racial and sexual causes), and is the mother of two adopted girls who are most definitely not white. Any one of which would be grounds to question the accuracy of the name being on the list, and combined just makes the inclusion ludicrous.

* For the confused: the KKK has traditionally been virulently anti-Catholic.

3 Likes

This one?

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/661277497372225536

3 Likes

Yep. That’s the one I’m thinking of, though some of the others are also fairly self-evidently questionable – just not as immediately so.

(I didn’t feel like typing out her name, since there’s no need to link her to this any more than she already has been.)

1 Like

Gizmodo had a discussion of the list today, FYI:

1 Like

For another example, the list includes the current mayor of Lexington, KY, who is openly gay.

BTW, the original would-be leaker is “Operation KKK,” while the one who released this batch of names is “Amped Attacks.” OpKKK is now saying that they haven’t released their list yet and have no connection with Amped Attacks.

This is the problem with an activist group that explicitly allows anyone who adopts their name to speak for them.

3 Likes

If today’s confusion hasn’t convinced you of the problem, maybe recall that last year Anonymous discovered and leaked the name and address of the Ferguson police officer who shot Michael Brown…only the guy they fingered wasn’t an officer, had never been to Ferguson, and it wasn’t his address. That didn’t protect him or the lady at the wrong address from weeks of death threats, though.

“Anonymous” is anyone on the internet who wants people to pay attention to them. Without additional corroboration, it is not a trustworthy source for anything.

6 Likes

Matthew 18:20 - For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.

1 Like

A good point. We saw this today, in fact. A partial dump of KKK members was posted, and then the hackers disavowed any knowledge of said dump. Some inspection of the names by journalists doesn’t make it look real valid, and more of an attempt by trolls to fuck with people they don’t like.

That is why we have Wikileaks, to vet the sources and content. I am not sure that doxxing racists is part of their mission statement, but that’s another topic.

3 Likes

I’ve since seen that. And also people shouting “false flag!” (Because everything on the Internet requires at least one instance of that.)