Anonymous warns Elon Musk

I mean, probably not in detail, but I think by now most people will have heard of them. It’s not exactly like it’s something that is only mentioned in specialized tech media.

3 Likes

Especially when…

4 Likes

It seems based on this article that 10% haven’t heard of it and 60% of the remainder who have heard of it don’t know what it is or how it works. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-19/bitcoin-btc-and-cryptocurrencies-prices-surge-but-understanding-is-limited

…excess energy is wasted by power companies and sought out by crypto miners

Bitcoin mining sounds patriotic…those heroic crypto miners are merely taking up the excess energy that would otherwise be wasted by those scoundrel power companies. Like how Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to himself.

2 Likes

let them fight fighting GIF

4 Likes

Exactly what I was getting at. A lone actor not at all aligned with the Anonymous movement.

I would say their main contribution to the world we live in was their influence on the plot of Mr. Robot.

It’s hard to make a case for much else.

3 Likes

Elon did this video himself, for t3h lulz.

2 Likes

Several years ago they outted a number of people who had secret KKK profiles on social media. Surprisingly a number of them on Google+. After that I get my hopes up when they, essentially, announce a target, but to a lesser and lesser extent because they haven’t managed to do much.

What matters here isn’t so much if it’s a single kid making a video, but if a bunch if hackers decide, “Yeah, that seeems lika a fun thing to do”.

1 Like

Part II drops!

2 Likes

Hogwash. I can go to Vons (aka Albertsons, Safeway, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Acme, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United Supermarkets, Pavilions, Star Market, Haggen and Carrs) and buy Bitcoin from the same Coinstar machine that counts loose change for 11.9%.

In its early history, it was a much more coordinated group targeting, for example, Scientology. That was the key to many of its successes. But as its notoriety grew, membership grew, leading to the more nebulous association and sporadic coherence you are referring to. And as WoolyBugger is pointing out, now has people with little to no actual Anonymous group history borrowing the mantle for their own personal use.

Don’t know why anyone is complaining honestly. All he did was make it easier to buy bitcoin at a lower price. If you know, you know.

Exactly! It’s a steal at 37 Galleons, 12 Sickles and 4 Knuts to the hogshead! Thank you, Elon!

3 Likes

Do you have better data on the question? The fact that it’s accessible, that some people know about it, that it’s traded and in the news doesn’t mean that most people know any more about it than it’s some strange and questionable internet thing like a mix between currency and gambling away all your money.

really? legal tender in el salvador - oh i forgot US citizens give no fucks about the rest of the planet, or the rest of the universe. Carry on with your Jenner Cardassians.

I don’t know if this video aged too well.

shuttin down yer pipelinez & hackin yer meatz

I’m not a US citizen but nice try. Perhaps you should take your own advice and remind yourself that not everyone on the internet is American.

If you’re looking globally, the odds that the “average working person” is familiar with bitcoin is even lower given that only 60% of the world population are internet users. So far though, I’ve presented the data I can find on the issue and people are just responding to me with anecdotes.

Do you have any data on the question? The statement from Anonymous said that Musk’s involvement with crypto shows a disregard for the “average working person”. My point was that it doesn’t impact the average working person.