Another Spinal Tap movie is in the works

7 Likes

I worked with a guy back in the early 90’s who told me that he watched it on VHS with his friends (while stoned) and didn’t realize that it was satire and said “dude, these guys suck”. hahaha.

5 Likes

Blues Brothers 2000 was apparently released in 1998, so couldn’t have been a contender, anyway.

Gold Diggers of 1933 is worth watching.

3 Likes

I got the Spinal Tap CD from Columbia House as one of my ten freebies back in the early 1990s, without having any clue that it was a movie soundtrack or it was satire or anything. “England’s loudest band? Sounds good to me!”

7 Likes

Well, about that…

3 Likes

On the one hand, yeah I hear ya. On the other: most bands of this repute make a big stadium-sized comeback at some point in later years. Why should Spinal Tap be any different? Reunion Tour, ahoy!

1 Like

That’s hilarious! Along the same lines, I was watching “Zelig” one night back in the 80s and some friends who had been drinking stopped by. One of them thought it was a real documentary.

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: Please don’t suck! Please don’t suck! :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Alas, I let it lapse when I moved out of state.

4 Likes

This is literally only the second* vanity plate that has ever existed that is actually clever. Though there is a fine line. :slight_smile:

*The first one was on a Lexus I saw one time, it said “V8CAMRY”

9 Likes

I vote for a third one: it was a silver car with a plate that said “HIHOAG”. Which makes much more sense when you remember that “Ag” is the periodic table symbol for “silver”.

6 Likes

That is pretty good.
I also remembered one other one. Some guy I knew a couple decades ago who owned a 911 had a plate that spelled out “Porcupine” but I can’t remember exactly how.

5 Likes

Some friends and I saw Spinal Tap live in concert, in Massachusetts, during their “Break Like the Wind” tour. I figured it would be a few good moments and a few long half-hours but still worth it for a loyal fan.
I was pleasantly surprised: It was funny as hell and nonstop fun.

5 Likes

Q: what’s the difference between a porcupine and porsche?
A: The porcupine has the pricks on the outside

5 Likes

So are we just pretending that Return of Spinal Tap wasn’t a thing? Because I was real high on cough medicine when I watched it out of my Netflix DVD queue 17 years ago or whatever that was, but I remember it being surprisingly great.

5 Likes

I think this might be a category error. No sequel is necessary. A small few are good. Fewer still are amazing.

1 Like

Seriously, was the whole thing a fever dream?

Spinal Tap has done short films, albums, and concert tours in the years since. Wikipedia says that

In 1994, The Return of Spinal Tap was released on video; most of this was live material from a 1992 performance at the Royal Albert Hall where the Stonehenge set was shown to the audience on video as being too big to fit through the stage doors, but it also included some interviews and follow-up on the band members.

I’m hoping that new film will have a plot, and the music will be in service of that plot-- rather than the other way around.

1 Like

“On what day did God create Spinal Tap, and couldn’t he have rested on that day too?”
-Reviewer for Spinal Tap’s album Rock and Roll Creation.

4 Likes