Another tourist at the Tower of London thinks she's at Disneyland, gets screamed at by guard

Type of weapon(s) and calibres.
Except in the USA.

4 Likes

Yes. Again, sorry about that.

8 Likes

*puts hand up*

We didn’t, up in Carlisle. I think the Nazis forgot we had a munitions factory and store nearby.

William the Bastard never conquered us either. It is usually the locals who leave the place looking like a wasteland.

15 Likes

If only the bison at Yellowstone could do this…

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AmericanIndian8/status/1551216884963368960

Posted by @RickMycroft in

5 Likes

Either out of (convenient) range or not mentioned in the Baedeker travel guide they used to collate the target list.

4 Likes

My British relatives claim it’s perfectly legal for a soldier on guard duty to plant a rifle butt in your face if you don’t immediately respond to verbal warnings. They are not entirely reliable narrators though.

3 Likes

She should count herself lucky.

Sure, the not-actually-toy soldiers will yell at you; but nobody knows what becomes of the poor souls dragged into the maintenance warrens by Disney mascots.

6 Likes

If these assholes ever learned that a big chunk of England’s economy depends on tourism, then they’d be even bigger assholes and behave accordingly.

1 Like

The animatronics must be fed.

6 Likes

When we hang out in Detroit, especially for some large events, there are always mounted police. My wife loves horses and likes to pet them but she never approaches or touches them without asking first. They are always very accommodating.

Seems like that should be common knowledge.

8 Likes

I love dogs and will absolutely admire K-9 police dogs, but I’m not going to disturb one without asking nor more than I’d do so to a guide dog. (The cops still qualify for ACAB, but it’s not the dog’s fault!)

1 Like

Ever wonder what they use as the base model for the animatronics?

Yet another part of the police state here in the US that needs to be abolished. Talk about a bright red line from today’s “law enforcement” to the slave catchers of post Fugitive Slave Act of 1850.

Nope, it’s not but it’s an unfortunate position those pooches have been put into. If I ever find myself getting attacked by one, I’ll do my damnedest to kill it dead.

2 Likes

Won’t work. The handler would beat you to a pulp first. K9 handlers are fussy about things like that. :wink:
You honesly probably have no idea what the bite force feels like from one of those 4 legged patrol scouts. They also shake their heads while holding you. I experienced it through leather and canvas so their was no puncture wound pain but even a two year old can shake you around like a polaroid picture.

1 Like

Occasionally the police dogs attack the right people:

Not Gloucester. There was some damage from the war, but most of the damage done to the old town was by the city council in the 1960’s. They tore down the original half-timbered buildings and replaced them with concrete rubbish (which is only now getting replaced). Apparently they were copying the GLC’s motto of “Finishing the job the Luftwaffe started!”

3 Likes

Wait, wait, wait… The city council being worse than the Luftwaffe? Aha! You are His Majesty Charles the Third, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of His other Realms and Territories King, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith - and I claim my £5, Your Royal Highness!

strictly speaking there is no such thing as a King’s (or Queen’s) Guard as an actual regiment or similar, although many in the US think this is the case. There are though, a number of regiments that carry out the ceremonial (and, to an extent, practical) function of guarding the monarch, although none of them do it exclusively and these are described as ‘The King’s Guard’ when carrying out that function. There’s the ones in Bearskins who are foot guards from five regiments - the Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish and Welsh Guards, while the mounted ones in helmets are from from the Household Cavalry which consists of two regiments the Life Guards and the Blues and Royals. This one is from the Blues and Royals as he has a blue tunic. They also serve as regular soldiers and only wear these uniforms for ceremonial duties. They guard Buckingham Palace and the gates of the Horseguards barracks on Whitehall (which is where this was filmed) but do not guard the Tower of London, that is the Yeoman Warders (colloquially ‘Beefeaters’) who are not serving military, but are all ex-military. Unlike the ones guarding the monarch, they do it full time and usually live in accommodation within the Tower precincts.

2 Likes

hate to devil’s advocate, I’ve just never been to london so I have no idea - is there a sign that says “do not interfere with the guards, they are on duty” ? They’re famous for standing there motionless and whatever all day so it seems reasonable that they are seen as a tourist attraction by the general public, however they are actually security staff and not character performers.

I mean yeah sure the horse may kick or bite, what about the people?