Anti-Trump activists call a national general strike for Feb 17: buy nothing, protest everywhere

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/09/anti-trump-activists-call-a-na.html

7 Likes

I have already taken the 17th off. I need to re-schedule a Dr. appointment. Thanks for the reminder, @doctorow!

8 Likes

Wait, which version though? Are we using the text, or intent, or as interpreted by SCOTUS right or wrong?

I realize a general strike has to be general, but that’s a little too broad to know what it’s even about. Is the point of the strike to hold our elected officials to following the constitution? That ship sailed a long time ago. You could have protested with the same goal for virtually any president, or any congress, almost all of which have mangled or proposed mangling the constitution.

8 Likes

So you Liberals and other Leftists will all walk out on the jobs you don’t have, won’t spend all that “free” money Obamacare just gives you, and will walk around getting in the way of us Normal Americans? Isn’t that every day?

And since when did you people pretend to care about the Constitution? Where were your protests when Obama Hussein Obama was signing all those those unConstitutional Executive Orders or trying to enact popular, mild and ineffective Gun legislation?

Pretending to care about the Constitution is our thing!

35 Likes

I hate these don’t-spend-any-money-on-this day-style protests, you’re not spending any less money, all you’re doing is offsetting the day you spend that money.

19 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

18 Likes

Tenet or tenent?

2 Likes

Also already taking that day off, and i’ve already got plans to go to a show. Can i provide snarky commentary online instead?

6 Likes

The problems with this, and there are problems, are numerous. It’s not a strike. It’s effectively a one day walk-out. A real general strike is prepared for well in advance. I’m down for a general strike, but it calls for a strike fund and longer term actions. It’s not a bad idea, but this isnt a general strike, and it may create the illusion that strikes are ineffective, because again: This isn’t one.

I’m not going to discourage a walkout/one day stay-away. But we need to start building infrastructure for the real thing.

17 Likes

This one.

1 Like

That’s just grade-A ‘benign driving trollies’ right there; dude is BB’s resident master at it.

12 Likes

Anyone else notice that every single one of those protests in that google doc links to somewhere on Facebook, and they all require a login to see them?

DID THEY NOT GET THE MEMO ABOUT FACEBOOK?!

6 Likes

Tennant?

7 Likes

Are the tenants behind on their rent?

2 Likes

I had most if the Winter off, so if I can work that day, I’m going to. I need the money.

I wish I was in a situation where I could take PTO. Am I unreasonable?

2 Likes

Now if there were a general transportation strike including trains, planes, and automobiles well, that would be something.

4 Likes

No, you’re not.

Do what you can do, when you can do it.

That’s exactly what needs to happen.

11 Likes

Better late than never, eh?

1 Like

A prolonged transportation strike would be an excuse for Bannon to declare marshal law but it might just be enough to scare enough congress critters to turn against the administration.

4 Likes

Buy Nothing. Protest Everything.
With that level of specificity and focus, you’ll be hurting EVERYONE, and will accomplish exactly nothing.
Plenty who hate Trump own businesses and employ people. What’s your message to them? IDGAF?