"Anti-woke" bank for MAGA folk shuts down after only 3 months

I feel like that presents fascism as somehow less “true” to these people than them being grifters, which IMO risks severely underestimating the vehemence and toxicity of these ideals, and the lengths a lot of people will go to to uphold them. IMO it’d be much closer to some sort of truth to say that both fascism and grifting feed off of a fundamental lack of empathy and caring for other people, and the feeling that personal gain at the cost of others is morally correct and even righteous.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I look it as more like the person talking up fascism is likely a sociopathic grifter. The crowd that falls into line and does violence might be true believers or in on the grift. Either way, they’re fucking dangerous.

2 Likes

True, I just think that kind of goes both ways, or that it’s essentially impossible to say that one direction is stronger/more important/more prevalent than the other. Whether people move from grifting to fascism or from fascism to grifting, they’re dangerous either way, and the same ideology feeds both outcomes.

1 Like

Don’t worry, Mike Godwin said it was OK to compare Republicans and other far-rightists to Nazis.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.