Antonin Scalia, 1936-2016

There’s a lot of talk already about him never being able to get even one confirmed before his second term is over, let alone more than one. Ted Cruz has already tweeted something to that effect.

2 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

1 Like

Good riddance. Scalia politicized the Supreme Court and lowered its stature.

15 Likes

To my undereducated eye, it was Thomas in a squeaker. Scalia just made more noise.

9 Likes

Thomas is a scarier conservative while Alito is a worse hack. Scalia could sometimes be good on things like criminal procedure (e.g. Bullcoming v. New mexico, where he concurred with Thomas, Ginsburg, Kagan and Sotomayor). Alito can be counted to follow the Republican party line.

21 Likes

@codinghorror Slate just republished a short summary of Scalia’s more suprisingly liberal moments on the bench.

8 Likes

How 'bout we get someone on there that used to work for the defense - they were all prosecutors weren’t they?

5 Likes

It is wrong to gloat over a man’s death, but this will make the country a better place.

28 Likes

the limit is nine.

the court can continue to function in the presence of a vacancy but there can be no more than nine. this is by federal law and can only be changed by an act of congress.

4 Likes

this was one of the most hideous human beings to occupy the court since roger b. taney and while gloating may not be appropriate, celebrations are very much in order.

21 Likes

The number’s decided by the Congress which is why FDR couldn’t pull it off:

Given the current Congress, Obama wouldn’t be able to get anything done on that front.

2 Likes

his occasional support of the 1st and 4th amendments do not make up for his belief that proof of actual innocence does not give a death row inmate the right to a new trial or his naked hostility to gay rights. nor does it make up for his contrivances in the case of bush v gore. good riddance to bad rubbish.

32 Likes

We know who he’d pick.

2 Likes

I guess I’m with Trump’s sister on this one, I too believe that a fetus can be safely aborted up through the (quick mental math) 75th? trimester. (duck)

2 Likes

“I did not attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it”
–Mark Twain

And perhaps more apropos,

“All men have an emotion to kill; when they strongly dislike some one they involuntarily wish he was dead. I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction.”
–Clarence Darrow, lawyer made famous for the Scopes Trial

33 Likes

I hasten to point out that my undereducated opinion of him as being slightly to the left of Clarence Thomas does not disqualify him from being substantially to the right of Satan on the same scale.

Just in case you thought I might even stick a toe into the role of Scalia-apologist.

14 Likes

Which hardly rules out Cheney’s legendary aim.

19 Likes

Don’t disclose his location. I didn’t care then and I sure don’t now.

1 Like

I felt sad when he was confirmed, and I feel sad he died apart from his family.

3 Likes

I’d go with fantastic or maybe even mind-blowing, but not interesting.