Antonin Scalia, 1936-2016

And of course, in formal logic, “Slate” ≡ ¬.

But the call is coming…FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

2 Likes

Oh, I 'm not saying Scalia was a desirable justice to have, just that he wasn’t the worst on the court. I’d take him over Alito in a heartbeat. While Alito didn’t mouth off in a dissent like Scalia did with his notorious “actual innocence” comment in In Re Davis, Alito didn’t join the decision granting habeas corpus either. IMO votes count more than grandstanding, however galling the latter may be.

5 Likes

That’s “Chancellor Trump” to you!

4 Likes
41 Likes

A statement both liberals and conservatives can whole-heartedly endorse!

Very impressive…

:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

More than coloring outside the lines of the Constitution, it was the Court’s “Mr. Fix-It Mentality,” in Scalia’s words, its “mission to Make Everything Come Out Right,” that enraged him. Scalia’s mission, by contrast, is to make everything come out wrong. A Scalia opinion, to borrow a phrase from New Yorker writer Margaret Talbot, is “the jurisprudential equivalent of smashing a guitar on stage.” Scalia may have once declared the rule of law the law of rules—leading some to mistake him for a stereotypical conservative—but rules and laws have a particular frisson for him. Where others look to them for stabilizing checks or reassuring supports, Scalia looks for exhilarating impediments and vertiginous barriers. Where others seek security, Scalia seeks sublimity. Rules and laws make life harder, and harder is everything. “Being tough and traditional is a heavy cross to bear,” he tells one reporter. “Duresse oblige.”

2 Likes

Supreme Court Associate Justice Judith

12 Likes

Obama delivers his statement with no tie.

A comment on how he won’t allow 4-4 on the SCOTUS?

9 Likes

Cheney’s a wily bastard of a cyborg…

4 Likes

the traditional place and method of death for victims of vampires!

5 Likes

ok I can see two possibilities -

1. President Trump picks Donald Trump and then goes on twitter to whine about the liberals when he finds out that won’t work.

2. she’s blonde, has big breasts, wears satin dresses and lots of diamonds, and has a law degree.

1 Like

The immediate and easily foreseeable impact is staggering. Last week, the Supreme Court issued a stay delaying the implementation of Obama’s Clean Power Plan. The stay indicated that a majority of the justices foresee a reasonably high likelihood that they would ultimately strike down Obama’s plan, which could jeopardize the Paris climate agreement and leave greenhouse gasses unchecked. Without Scalia on the Court, the odds of this drop to virtually zero. The challenge is set to be decided by a D.C. Circuit panel composed of a majority of Democratic appointees, which will almost certainly uphold the regulations. If the plan is upheld, it would require a majority of the Court to strike it down. With the Court now tied 4-4, such a ruling now seems nearly impossible.

15 Likes

If his gravesite becomes public information, I know a few people who would like to honor it with a Hershey Salute.

5 Likes

This is my favorite response yet:

21 Likes
7 Likes

An enemy of freedom and dignity who suffered from unpleasant personality disorder, both on and off the bench, with the ethics of an alley cat, never met a corporation argument he didn’t embrace and assisted in the endangerment and likely destruction of what was called American Democracy, has died.

8 Likes

Lord and Emperor Trump!

4 Likes