Anyone can now carry a concealed handgun in Georgia without a license or background check

Just to clarifiy:

He knows 5,200+ permits were denied in a single year, for example, because of felony convictions or domestic abuse.

People who have felony convictions or domestic abuse are still prohibited from owning and carrying firearms. The law doesn’t change that.

Though I still don’t know why there is never follow up with the checks systems we do have in place. If someone is rejected for a permit because of past convictions, wouldn’t it be probable cause for a search to make sure they aren’t in possession of a firearm when they shouldn’t be?

2 Likes

How come nobody ever asks (or runs ads) asking why Kemp isn’t solving safety issues so that “our daughters and your family” don’t need a gun to protect themselves?

All of these policies and justifications assume nobody is safe without their own personal defense. If they want to run on a platform of “With Kemp in charge, you’ll never be safe without your own armory.” someone should pin them to it. Ask why they’re not doing stuff to create a safe environment. Since they’re either doing the stuff to create a safer environment and everyone doesn’t need a gun all the time, or they’re letting (pushing) society into a less safe decay requiring everyone to need a gun all the time.

That’s quite a platform to defend then. “With Kemp in charge, the world will be so dangerous you’ll need a gun all the time!”. Put it on the campaign buttons.

15 Likes

Meh… the ATL is pretty safe, honestly. I get nervous going to visit relatives who live in more rural places now, though…

11 Likes

Since Kemp has chosen this odd way to announce to 66% of his party’s voters that he doesn’t respect their need for representation, I do hope a great deal of them get the message and stay home on election day, or finally decide to go independent or switch parties all together.

If you’ve ever wondered what “tyranny of the minority” looks like, the GQP has been doing it’s damndest to show you for ages now.

23 Likes

I mean, he cheated to get his current position. I doubt he’d let a pesky thing like voters get in his way again.

17 Likes

That certainly is a valid worry. Because Gerrymandering isn’t working as well as it used to.

15 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

13 Likes

Then be certain that Ohio is on your list.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/15/politics/ohio-concealed-carry-mike-dewine/index.html

8 Likes

My (pretty great) state senator, Sally Harrell, had this to say about the anti-trans language that was snuck into last-minute legislation (which, incredibly, no one was allowed to read before having to vote on it). BTW, Sally has a transgender child.

“When I finally read the transgender sports bill at 9 am the next morning, I was relieved to discover that it wasn’t the outright sports ban we fought against all session. I don’t think even most Republicans knew this, which might be the reason it was not printed and put on our desks. Instead, it directs the Georgia High School Association to convene an oversight commission to study the issue, collect data, and eventually make recommendations. This is the solution for which I advocated on my public Facebook page weeks ago.”

So … not great, but not nearly as bad as it could be.

Now this concealed carry bill? I’m looking forward to gun violence stats doubling and tripling in coming years here in the Peach State. Great job, Kemp.

6 Likes

I think I heard her on WABE?

It’s more than bad enough - it DOES up the door for targeting and bullying of trans kids. So, while it’s not as bad as other states, it’s still incredibly unacceptable and needs to go now. They said it’s an attempt at being balanced, but trans kids are still going to be bullied and we’re going to see some terrible outcomes here.

9 Likes

But those trans kids can now carry a concealed handgun without a license so they can defend themselves against the bullies, right? /s

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Kemp and his :ox: :poop: (sorry, there’s no :bull: emoji in the list.)

6 Likes

EVERYTHING
But to know that, we’d have to be paying attention to… any of the evidence. (Which obviously is a non-starter for Republicans.)

I think that’s a big part of the appeal. I mean, it’s all premised on the American gun power fantasy, but the fantasy exists within a racist framework that works if only white conservatives get to have that (imaginary) power. Opening up gun ownership necessitates simultaneously clamping down on gun ownership in specific groups, which also becomes an excuse to over-police them and respond with lethal force. The increase in crime created by this policy also becomes, more generally, an excuse to create more draconian policies to “solve” the problem they created.

And it shows, perversely, how Republican politicians aren’t even trying to appeal to most of their own party, but increasingly to its most extreme, ignorant fringe.

I recollect someone did a study looking at people who claimed to have “defended” themselves with a gun, actually figuring out what happened in the individual cases, and what they found was, a) it was all bullshit, they weren’t usually protecting themselves from anything, but also b) the gun owners were usually in the wrong - the instigators or aggressors in the situation, and often the only person who had actually committed a crime (i.e. they pulled out a gun during an altercation and threatened someone with it).

It just makes it completely impossible to enforce.

7 Likes

this is going to result in a spike of shooting deaths and incidents, which will then generate talking points that will be used to further justify escalation.

every “criminal” starts out as a “law abiding citizen” and the transition between the two takes only seconds.

6 Likes

How so?

Even in the “wild west” going armed in town was controlled.

6 Likes

ineedthisforreactions GIF

That’s one thing that people don’t realize about the “Old West”… it was HIGHLY regulated in a lot of ways, including with regards to guns in towns.

12 Likes

Near the border with SC or Tennessee?

Because of Atlanta being a hub for national commerce at that time, or more about the people who lived in the area (or both)?

1 Like

Yes. Especially as the war ground on, and it became clear that the people paying with their lives to ensure slavery were more often the poor whites in places like the foothills. There were also bread riots in many rural parts of the south as the war continued…

Atlanta had nothing to do with that, and was very pro-war, pro-confederate, because that was where the elites lived, many of whom had plantations in more rural parts of the state.

6 Likes

the list of states where i’m not comfortable going is getting longer.

6 Likes

Applying for a license has led to thousands of people being denied licenses who are not allowed to possess weapons, including convicted felons and people who have been hospitalized for mental health issues.

If you dig past the headline, those restrictions are still in place. Felons and people “involved with mental health treatment” in the past five years still may not carry a concealed gun. However, the law forbids police officers to check whether somebody carrying a weapon falls in one of those categories.

You still can’t take a firework, bow and arrow, air rifle, or slingshot into a Georgia park, but a Glock in a shoulder holster under your jacket is just fine.

You’ve got to feel for Kemp. He’s being primaried by a Trump sycophant and is grasping for anything that will help him get the nomination.

1 Like