Anyone can now carry a concealed handgun in Georgia without a license or background check

Which makes it pointless…

As a resident of this great state…

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

He’s always run on such issues, well before he was being primaried by Trump. He was already to the right of the state GOP.

10 Likes

Westerns rarely show the common practice of checking your firepower at the swinging doors of saloons.

Probably the same applied at salons.

ETA: No one went around indiscriminately firing their weapons, neither: ammo was expen$ive AF.

ETA Mk II:

Like fuck I do, and I’m an empath! Were I to bother creating a list of the all the horrid shit he’s done, I’d end up in tears because of all the suffering he and his ilk are causing.

11 Likes

Indeed. The various films and TV shows about the old west are largely based on the pop culture mythologies of the dime store novels that started to get popular in the late 19th century, even now. I’m trying to remember if they promote that in Deadwood…

7 Likes

A few recent ones have, including The Harder They Fall and, of course, that one scene from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

7 Likes

Too bad that film also promoted the savage Indian trope. Otherwise, it was a great film.

5 Likes

I sure didn’t get hip to what went down in Th’ Old West by watching movies - it came naturally thru my study of equestrian history. Most often the European authors had the most accurate info re: US horsey history.

5 Likes

I don’t find that too surprising… yay historians!

8 Likes

And Kemp is the “good guy”! The one who wouldnt go along with Trump’s election fraud.

1 Like

My post-college kids have friends who are trans; that generation and younger are much cooler about people being people than older generations were (and are). When they were in high school 6-8 years ago, it was no big deal for kids to come out as LGBTQ, and be accepted (they went to Lakeside HS, a public school that’s incredibly diverse). I really do have hope that despite the horrible, hurtful laws being passed now because of the baseless fears of the olds, that the generations coming up will rally around their peers even more, and will eventually make better laws as they gain political power.

7 Likes

I really think this is shifting at the 30-and-under age level. Our small framily includes three trans kids, but all are feeling despair and stress at the wave of hatred coming down from the olds in office. The upcoming elections are such a BIG deal.

9 Likes

Kemp was the guy who got elected governor after running an ad where he pointed a shotgun at a kid “dating his daughter” or some such BS. Har-har. He’s an idiot. The concealed carry bill wasn’t too hard a choice for him, competition or not.

But David Perdue (Trump’s pick) is even worse. As Ken Watanabe famously said, “Let them fight.”

Hopefully conditions in GA will favor the election Stacey Abrams over either of those slimeballs come November.

9 Likes

Absolutely, these elections are critical. I wish people realized that A) the economy isn’t the most important issue in elections, B) the Federal government and the President have very little direct and immediate control over the economy, and C) it’s more important to elect people who are passing good laws that help people, than it is to punish them when the fickle forces of the market happen to be bad during their watch.

6 Likes

Was it paired with legislation that requires women’s clothes to be manufactured with pockets?

6 Likes

Hey, gotta have a militia ready to “defend” the voting booths from “fraudulent voters” at the midterms, and in 2024.

1 Like

So, can visitors pick up a concealable gun from an airport vending machine in baggage claim?

3 Likes

I don’t want everyone walking around with a gun, I’m picturing the collateral deaths when all the good guys pull their guns at a mass shooting.

But they still need a liscense and background check to buy the gun they want to conceal.

I mean, that’s something anyhow.

1 Like

I think there are certainly some who are, but that’s not all of them. Kids in schools are still being bullied, and a lot of how bad it gets is how much the school takes bullying seriously.

I’m somewhat familiar with LS, and even there, I know it wasn’t all progressive, though the school does seem to do a good job not letting it get out of hand.

As you say, this could have been worse, but this still holds the door open for real forms of discrimination that will hurt trans and gay kids.

Again, I do think there are plenty of under 30 bigots. Just like racism didn’t die out with our grandparents generation like some believed it would, the uptick in homophobia and transphobia is not just coming from old people.

I think ALL us Georgians agree on that!

He is, but you’ve also probably heard how Kemp is getting an economic advantage because of the leadership committee law…

We are again in violent agreement!

8 Likes

fingers_crossed-Bill Murray-480x468

fingers-crossed-17

Shit, that needs to be a Federal Law.

I’m wearing a dragon print dress wif pockets Right Now!

11 Likes

Michelle Obama Reaction GIF

You got us a link?

5 Likes

I wish! I’d have more than one! They were in many Chinese ebay and amazon sellers’ stores for years, but no more.
Minibee Women’s Dragon Print Pattern Clothing Rose-half sleeve - Amazon
Mine’s like this one but in navy. Given the chance, I’d’ve got the pink one, and even the red one.
These are still around, tho!
LZJN Women’s Elastic Waist Cotton Linen Pants with Dragon Print (Blue) at Amazon

6 Likes