AOC is the star of a new superhero comic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/25/devils-due.html

2 Likes

I am 110% on board with Ocasio-Cortez’s politics. But this kind of hagiography will lead to tears. My dearest hope is that she takes adulatory crap like this and instantly dumps it in the circular file. The second she starts believing it is the moment she goes off the rails.

22 Likes

I can’t believe they didn’t include her State of the Union Outfit. I mean, she wore a freakin’ CAPE!

And I agree 110% with your comment. She’s amazing, she helps me with hope these days (along with Stacy Abrams who has acted heroically). But cult of personality is not the way out and always leads to disappointment. Why can’t we have nice things/people without having to make them into something they are not? Support her and also keep it realistic.

9 Likes

Y’know, I think the comic is… well… a little tongue-in-cheek. But don’t tell the nice people at Faux News - this should drive them apoplectic!

6 Likes

I hope all the best for her, I hope she’s as real and true as she appears and more than anything I hope the right wing sting machine continues to shoot it’s panicky barbs at her with absolutely no harm done save for those who try to sling their foul hate at her. godspeed AOC you are the potential stuff the best of us should hope to be bright audacious and motivated because by god it’s what this planet needs!!! Get 'em AOC…they’re already making their own golden showers just because you exist…when your actions hit their bladder’s will prolapse.

5 Likes

Just don’t…

2 Likes

How do you feel about John Lewis having his own comic book?

[ETA] Or Barack Obama being in one for that matter?

4 Likes

I hope the overwhelming expectations everyone has of her aren’t too much either. She’s being treated like the Second Coming of the Democratic Party, and that’s a lot of weight for those slim shoulders. I hope she remains half as awesome as the hype makes her out to be.

5 Likes

Pretty good - I bought the John Lewis book. I’m likely to buy her book in a few years - but right now seems premature.

3 Likes

I know, right? When they put the first one out, he had a booth at a local book festival that year. He also keeps showing up at San Diego Comic-Con, where he cosplays as himself.

3 Likes

The variant cover kind of looks like Wonder Woman killed Babar.

He should win the contest!

2 Likes

He also led a march through the venue one year… He’s awesome-sauce.

3 Likes

He is - good sense of humor on top of being a real world hero!

Speaking of which - I just per-ordered George Takei’s comic about his internment as a child.

3 Likes

Oh wow! I’ll have to get that soon, too! When’s it coming out?

3 Likes

Takei came out back around 2005 as I recall. :wink:

4 Likes

They Called Us Enemy Paperback – July 16, 2019

5 Likes

This one looks crazy understyled on the cover. [Eyes bin of new eyes, marked MILLENIALS ONLY.] Hopefully it won’t be quite 4 1/2 years for the next one to drop.

2 Likes

Boo-hiss! flees screaming