AOL's “Digital Prophet“ Shingy gets a New Yorker profile

facedeals

Always read the fine print before you sign, shingy!

He and Will-I-Am should have a baby! So many fewturisms!

1 Like

What, completely integral you mean?

I’d recommend this other profile from BI - http://www.businessinsider.com/aol-shingy-profile-2014-3 - where Shingy seems to be, well, good at what it does (also a very nice guy).

1 Like

“Goats will be very important in the future.”

5 Likes

I am having real trouble figuring out if he’s just a crazy person who believes his own hype or a charlatan, or some mixture of the two.

2 Likes

His scam is good enough to fool AOL, but is it good enough to fool himself?

2 Likes

I was going to make a comment involving Being There and Phil Spector, but okay.

You can use CDs as bird scarer’s, so there is some use for them.

No, just some derivation.

Ok - I watched half this vid - and yes, he’s a character… I’m cool with that. And way more interesting than the robotic mass of humanity that surrounds us… He knows marketing, he teaches marketing, he’s articulate, he’s doing what he likes and getting paid for it…

Am I a fanboy - nah - but I like eccentrics.

5 Likes

Barf.
Just a revolting, pointless court jester who parades around in a dying corporation, spouting buzzwords and corporate dreck.

And in that fashion, he’s completely, 1000% appropriate to be in attendance at AOL. Pity the poor souls to be laid off while clowns like this cash-in on clueless executives.

I suspect that the personal style (a caricature of Bono that took a wrong turn in the vicinity of Kim Jong Il–there, got it out of my system) is probably intentional in order to make an easy target for critics, who can then be dismissed in turn for being shallow. Really, he’s not any worse than any number of other “digerati”, who seem to be famous (and well-compensated) mostly for being famous online, and not for any sort of tangible accomplishment.

1 Like

So it’s assholes all the way down.

Perfect embodiment of what CEOs think cool kids think is cool. Katherine Hepburn (timely!) quotes about “breaking rules” and tee-shirtable (well, inside the corporate retreat anyways…) quotes like “mindshare=marketshare.” His speaking style is actually pretty dry and droll, and the words are blandly markety. And basically the message of “niche communities are the future?” you hear that blogs, meetup.com and IRC? you’re on to something!!!

2 Likes

Interestingly, however, you were also okay with taking time out of your day to comment about how you’re okay with not knowing someone. I feel like scrolling by would have gotten across that just as well.

Well, he was certainly not alone with that sentiment about this buzzword-powered clown.

Eh. That’s his job. And he has fun hair. I like eccentric people. I am neutral because marketing meh. But he has fun hair.

Edit: It cracks me up that people don’t know what he does. He is a marketing guy. Which is totally full of buzzwords and is often ridiculous.

I admit, I admire his skill of of using talking buzzword-enriched semi-nonsense into milking decent money from corporate management.

I like excentric people too. And the hair is fun. He looks like that red-haired one from The Labyrinth movie, after dyeing hair black and getting eyeglasses.

But I also harbor a fair dislike for marketing.