Apartment complex employee suspended for barring black residents from swimming pool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/12/apartment-complex-employee-sus.html

5 Likes

Yeah, need more christians in the pool. Take a queue from Fred.

33 Likes

In Swimming Pool Sarah’s defense, she didn’t realize they’d accidentally forgot to find some trumped-up reason to deny an applicant of color a lease. /s

Sarcasm aside, that’s also a real problem faced by POC and largely invisible to Whites. The rental applications as well as mortgages and real estate bids of Blacks and other POC are routinely illegally denied for manufactured reasons by racist landlords, banks and planned communities.

Firing Swimming Pool Sarah is a good start, which they still need to do instead of merely suspending her. But the public also needs to hold these businesses accountable for the discrimination by their employees. Discrimination doesn’t happen unless management culture encourages it. And yes, allowing it is encouraging it. Businesses are responsible for their employees’ workplace conduct and the work and customer interaction environment they permit.

39 Likes

Pool’s closed? It’s an old meme, but it checks out …

6 Likes

Pool’s closed. Entitled white lady out front should’ve told you.

7 Likes

It sounds pretty “otherwise,” no?

21 Likes

We have a bunch of those people at our apartment complex. No official titles, no pay, just “community liaisons”.
And the moment they get a tiny bit of power over any other human, they abuse it far beyond reason.

If I want to get into the pool, I have to get past one or more of them. If I want to sign up for a bus trip, clubhouse dinner, karaoke night, flea market, anything - I have to go through them.

Here, it’s not about skin color, (usually), but it is just an example of how anyone with a shred of power is seconds away from being the next Karen.

19 Likes

16 Likes
12 Likes

Francois Clemmons is also gay, but Fred has no trouble accepting that, either. The greatest American.

25 Likes

Today I Learned…

16 Likes

At the very least in a place like Tennessee, employees have to be told (at least once a month) to always treat white people the same as people of color. Not to treat people of color like they treat white people - treat white people like they treat people of color.

So if you keep people of color out, you keep white people out. If you ask to see people of color’s key, you ask to see white people’s key. You’re allowed to be a total dick if you want to (and until everyone complains), but you have to treat everyone the same.

20 Likes

At least they’re not getting any more clever. Even as things change and people become more aware and willing to dish out consequences for this sort of behavior, the racists always, always remain confident that this is going to end well for them. The more racists who lose their jobs, the better.

13 Likes

Mr. Rogers is always relevant and appropriate. That man was so far ahead of his time. Or, better put, we were so far behind him. We need a voice like his now.

23 Likes

ahh, the ol’ “we’re sorry we got caught” routine…

5 Likes

Wasn’t Mr. Rogers also a minister?

Definitely can’t avoid the imagery/biblical significance of washing Officer Clemmons’ feet…

8 Likes

Somebody should let Bill Burr know that racism is not always subtle or quiet:

3 Likes

He was, though I don’t remember which church. And yes, the biblical reference is absolutely intended.

4 Likes

She called a resident a bitch while refusing her access…and was “suspended”? FFS

4 Likes

We intend to revisit our training program for all staff, in order to do our part to prevent situations like this happening in the future.

Obviously it wasn’t the racism that was the problem, it was the negative publicity

1 Like