Aquaman will never be cool no matter how hard DC tries

Well, Aquaman is the Aquaman of superheroes.

5 Likes

That feeling when you can breathe and swim expertly underwater, talk to and influence marine life, yet the Justice gang prefers the company of some dude who does archery tricks more than you.

8 Likes

Patrick Duffy, Man from Atlantis, 70’s TV. That is all

10 Likes

I was surprised at how much of the trailer was well-lit. The poorly lit scenes seemed to be actually at night or in transit under the sea. Someone (who gives a damn) should go through and tot up just how much time is bright and how much dim.

More important, Jason Momoa’s walking around in little more than ink and he can talk to cetaceans. Definitely worth the price of admission to me. Underwater Thor, you say? I say, yes please.

10 Likes

His sex appeal drops a few notches when you realize he also has crabs.

23 Likes

Patience, now. Patience. Hold your water.

:wink:

Came to link the Hark! A Vagrant comic if nobody else had done so.

But, dude, stealing and uploading the image with no attribution rather than linking out to the site: not cool.

Kate Beaton, Hark! A Vagrant! Merchandise available online and in all fine bookstores.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=260

2 Likes

The other prong is the failure of their Green Lantern movie. Ever since, they’ve convinced themselves that lighthearted, not-so-serious is BAD and will be UNPOPULAR. Because, having spent umpteen million dollars making the GL movie, they can’t wrap their heads around the idea that it failed because the movie itself was shitty.

The rot goes deeper, though: DC comics, as an entity, has been taking away the wrong lesson from the success of “The Dark Knight Returns” for, what, well over a decade now? I’ve lost track of exactly when DC’s comic books went all in on “all grimdark all the time,” but their movies have basically just been following in the footsteps of their comics on that score.

1 Like

Nah. “Thor, But Underwater” would involve Aquaman being banished from the sea kingdom until he proved himself worthy to wield his magical trident – wait, how many points is that, three, four, five – magical penta-dent and return home to stop his evil relative from ruling the kingdom. This is clearly “Black Panther, But Underwater,” where he stays home and has to prove himself worthy to stop his evil relative from ruling the kingdom. Totally different thing.

5 Likes

Right? It looks like a lot of fun!

1 Like

Meanwhile their animated fare has been going in the opposite direction, taking the largely-serious-but-still-fun tone of the DC Animated Universe then embracing a return to campiness for Batman: the Brave and the Bold and now the purely comedic antics of The LEGO Batman Movie and Teen Titans GO!

1 Like

Blockquote[quote=“copykate, post:65, topic:124872”]
More important, Jason Momoa’s walking around in little more than ink and he can talk to cetaceans. Definitely worth the price of admission to me. Underwater Thor, you say? I say, yes please
[/quote]

Preach, sister!

1 Like

Kate Beaton’s comics are well known and often linked here. I trusted the intelligence of my felllow readers to know her distinct and often-referenced style. But golly, thanks for the call-out on my uncoolness, I’ll remove my post.

A bad, ill-informed opinion is a bad opinion.

2 Likes

IKR… Sharks with freaking laser beams, man! And I know the article was written by a guy because there’s nothing dark about watching Jason Momoa. He was born for this shit.

3 Likes

I agree. “Shazam” (the real Captain Marvel) looks like a fun superhero movie for, you know, kids! Like it should, frankly!

Old man that I nonetheless am, I plan to enjoy it too.

The King Arthur mythos is a millstone around the character’s neck. Arthur will not be cool until he becomes tired aristocratic eurotrash (atlantotrash), who has a condo at the South Street Seaport and goes to Lower East Side clubs.
There should be a cool, edgy Atlantis neighborhood just off Manhattan. Sure, the water tastes kind of terrible, but that’s just what makes it cool - keeps the Atlantean squares away.
He shouldn’t have any interest whatever in fighting surface crime, and not much in Atlantean crime, any more than any monarch takes an interest in street crime.

Marvel made Ant Man cool. If Marvel can make Ant Man cool, then certainly DC can…

…ok, DC can’t even make Superman cool. I see the point.

But still, DC has a fair shot at making Aquaman cool. Maybe.

2 Likes

Yeah, but guess who would have been the biggest hero in the WORLD a few weeks ago in Thailand?

1 Like

I read Marvel comics as a kid so I’m waiting for the Namor the Sub-Mariner movie.

3 Likes