Arby's cashier fired after calling customer "f**" on receipt

I suspect the average Arby’s employee is not fluent in Latin, but I do agree. There’s no perfect system solution to the problem of people being dicks to each other.

What’s said is one Arby’s employee acts like a dick, and so we now paint the entire franchise with the penalty, even if it seems Arby’s reacted properly to this incident. There’s a lot of underpaid employees getting a ton of grief because one shithead thought it’d be funny to type a slut on a food order.

1 Like

Losing a job though is a pretty appropriate consequence for something that hopefully this person will be ashamed enough to see in themselves to turn away from if they aren’t already. But I mean, there is always the chance they’ll just go on being an asshole to people.

9 Likes

Consequences for being shitty to others helps.

Were other employees held responsible for this one’s action?

10 Likes

When you are young, jobs of that sort are disposable.

And a lot of people are simply incapable intellectually of foreseeing consequences to their actions.

Yeah it seems to me that the bare minimum effort here is making sure employees at any and all levels of the company understand that insulting customers (or other employees for that matter) with bigoted slurs is unacceptable.

I don’t know how that could be construed as “a ton of grief” necessarily unless Arby’s just has complete management failures all the way up the chain.

I mean, customer facing employees do represent the company.

8 Likes

Man, I’d sure like to think so, but I’ve observed enough human nature to know that there’s a fair chance that the takeaway could be “That f** cost me my job!”

Disclaimer: yes, I know that I’m a jaded, cynical old f*ck. Don’t @ me.

6 Likes

Nah I understand. I make like a conscious and concerted effort to hold space for other possibilities out of a selfish desire to not collapse into depression.

8 Likes
7 Likes

I mean, that’s exactly what someone is saying.

I don’t know how you read my critique of “kids are stupid” and counterpoint that adults are also equally as stupid to mean that I’m…

Since I began by saying

In other words, growth and change is a choice that is afforded to everyone. Some are born into a regressive worldview that they must choose to evolve out of and most do (I was and did). That’s the definition of growth and change.

ETA: The whole point I’m making is that whenever a child is involved in this type of situation, the usual response is to say something along the lines of “kids are stupid/cruel/malicious”, which I wholeheartedly reject. Anyone, regardless of age, has a choice to make to exercise empathy and reject the hate they are exposed to or not. It has nothing to do with age. I began rejecting the worldview I was taught at a very early age because it didn’t square with the reality I saw around me.

5 Likes

Despite being a cynical and jaded 48 years old, I sometimes (rarely) am a sweet summer child. From the headline, I thought the slur was ‘fat’.

And @mr_raccoon, there’s no place for homophobia anywhere, not just where somebody works.

9 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think we believe here is too far off. It’s at this point in the person’s life that we may be seeing differently. It sounds like you just land on “He chose hate.” You’re not wrong. But I think there’s more to it than that, and immaturity and lack of life experience factor into his choosing hate. Doesn’t excuse it. But there’s a general consensus that younger people deserve lighter judgment for their wrongdoings because of various developmental factors. And I reduced it down to “stupid” to keep it short whereas I could have explained it further.

The kid chose hate. All factors combined, that’s where he landed. Yes, you grew up and rejected the hate, and that’s great. Maybe you didn’t do anything stupid when you were younger and that colors your perspective here. But for me, who did stupid non-hateful things and had friends who did plenty themselves, I see a kid who did something stupid and hateful with the expectation he’d get away with it, got punished, and will hopefully learn (ideally quickly, but that’s not how things work) just how wrong a choice he made.

And just because adults are bigots doesn’t mean we can’t view the youth differently. The adults influence the kids, and that makes it harder for them to see how wrong their decisions are. You may have come out ok in that environment yourself, but everyone is hardly the same as you are.

1 Like

You’re allowed your own opinion, obviously.

Not being a person of privilege, I personally give such young people no quarter, simply because they are “young and dumb.”

That someone’s bigotry ‘isn’t personal’ doesn’t make it any less harmful.

10 Likes

Absolutely agree. Even though I began to see through the veil at a young age I’m still unpacking all of the biases and prejudice I was taught.

Also fully agree. And for the exact reasons you specify.

Oh, I definitely did. The fact that I did do stupid stuff that I’m still actively trying to forgive myself for is also why I always feel the need to push back on the “kids these days” narrative.

6 Likes

I’m also not a person of privilege. Things like this piss me off, but the young need both consequences and a little bit of understanding in order to learn.

1 Like

Sadly, I have none left to give… but especially not to bigots.

14 Likes

All I know is I hope to heck the person who programmed the register software didn’t do this on purpose just to get a laugh out of people reacting to outside influences…“Let’s program slurs to replace proper names and see the new kid get in trouble…(as one does when replacing words in the text prompts of the cellphone of one’s friend or sibling as a practical joke)”

Still, the simplest explanation is often the best, and the kid was likely an idiot.

4 Likes

So, the firing itself was intolerant, but we’re celebrating it another 18 days plus.

Will the cashier be immediately hired by a police force? (Change my mind.)

TornPaperNapkin’s (implication: Magic for Kids Trick #21, or Decouppage?) conclusion about development crit. needs work to even track. Monotonicity might be one of those extra suggestions only NewsCorp can love. For that matter, will the couple permit faql or even falgbtql on a fast food receipt? New intolerant hard-right yet metrosexual groups want to know how far the flame (of All Gas No Brakes, damn the Functionally Aggregated Groups of GPs as such,) can go.

3 Likes

No one should. A youth without consequences is no favor to the young.

Most adults who want to excuse this kind of shit probably did dumb damaging shit when they were young and can’t or won’t extricate their own defensiveness from their projected defensiveness.

7 Likes

Indeed, learning that actions have consequences is one of the most critical lessons that people simply have to learn at some point. The sooner one learns this lesson, the better off one is.

There are still people out there who do not learn this lesson into their 20s, 30s or even later; but one day, reality will catch up to them. And the older one is, the less likely one is to adjust to that reality toward becoming a fully functioning member of society. Letting kids off the hook in these situations only passes the buck to an older version of themselves who will only have less time to get back on their feet.

3 Likes

This is so gay dude!