Archaeology Today

Scientists suspect it was used for ice fishing and pot luck dinners.

2 Likes

Looks like legit underwater archaeology, but somewhat distorted by the media:

https://holleyarchaeology.com/wordpress/index.php/the-truth-about-the-stonehenge-in-lake-michigan/

“This site seems to gain a life in the media about every six months or so. Sadly, much of the information out there is incorrect. For example, there is not a henge associated with the site and the individual stones are relatively small when compared to what most people think of as European standing stones. It should be clearly understood that this is not a megalith site like Stonehenge. This label has been placed on the site by individuals in the press who may have been attempting to generate sensation about the story and have not visited the site. The site in Grand Traverse Bay is best described as a long line of stones which is over a mile in length.”

Very, very interesting nonetheless!

10 Likes

I look forward to blocking the YouTube channels that do videos like “monuments prove the presence of super science white people in North America 9000 years ago.”

8 Likes

Deleted.

Jinx @FGD135

3 Likes

The picture of the mastodon petroglyph from that site seem to be heavily photoshopped. :frowning:

It apparently looks like this:

4 Likes

That was interesting. I knew they were painted, but somehow didn’t think they’d be so
 gaudy.

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-47423-y

9 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Perhaps more like Easter than Christmas?

Three days for resurrection in mythology seems to be like Ernie Bushmiller’s three rocks, the perfect number. (Odin needed nine days, 3x3.)

eta:
“Hey kids, it’s time to hang the cocks on the Cybele tree!”

6 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

Lots of pictures and stories of people long gone.

3 Likes

Don’t step on LEGIO bricks with your bare feet!

7 Likes

They’re suggesting that it’s a 35,000 year old tool for making rope.

5 Likes

Headline:

We Finally Know What This Mysterious Ice Age ‘Magic Wand’ Was Used For

Body text:

As with any replication, the experiment cannot prove beyond doubt that the artifacts served the same purpose, or were used in necessarily the same way. Just because an ancient artifact can be imaginatively used in a fashion doesn’t mean it was, after all.

Internet journalism in a nutshell

8 Likes

You mean wild speculation without any evidence is bad journalism!?! /s

Oh My God Omg GIF

2 Likes

When it’s so obviously a tool for knitting gloves?

3 Likes

This is how we made rope back in my scouting days.

2 Likes

From David Macaulay’s Motel of Mysteries

7 Likes