Archaeology Today

Not as bad as it could be. Just change “know” in the headline to “suspect”. The disclaimer you quote is honest enough.

Me too.
This video shows the same technique in action.

Here’s an even simpler method:

IANAA, but the idea seems more plausible since the researchers used such a device to actually make rope. Or experimental archaeology just appeals to me.

6 Likes

Possibly three-fingered ritual gloves, worn by shamans of a hitherto unknown mouse cult.

2 Likes

The text is better than most, it’s just that the headline needs to be hyperbolic to be clicked on. I wonder whether that is actually true, or just an article of faith among content producers.

I wonder the same thing about YouTube thumbnails, which have become so stupid, even for channels I otherwise like.

3 Likes

Brass knuckles

2 Likes

The Vesuvius Prize has been claimed (crosspost to AI topic)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00346-8

ETA: sorry for the lack of One Box. Here’s another article

9 Likes

Also in Science FTW and Good Encouraging Stuff.

3 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

The title is confusing, when the article includes this:

Our modern understanding of Neanderthals is a far cry from older, outdated ideas about our nearest Homo relatives. Though they went extinct around 40,000 years ago, Neanderthal DNA persists in most people today, an indicator of how the Neanderthals were gradually subsumed into Homo sapiens.

So, saying “They Weren’t Made by Us” seems strange if there’s no us without them. :thinking:

8 Likes

Yup. I can only encourage everybody to visit the

(Won’t onebox properly, but is their English site.)

8 Likes

Every time I see an article about how clever Neanderthals were, I get more worried that I don’t have enough of their DNA.

9 Likes

A lot of the stuff I’ve seen says they were also very empathetic, and I wish our current gene pool had more Neanderthal.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I’m really curious how we would know. Homo sapiens sapiens are in fact wonderfully empathetic except when we’re not, and I’m certainly not surprised to find other humans with slightly different skulls could be too. But I’m also kind of worried about simply finding a thoughtful grave and going all noble savages with it.

5 Likes

I hesitate to say, as I remember evidence of them helping cave mates/family members/etc when they were seriously injured, and supporting them afterward even, things like fully healed lower limb fractures. It’s entirely possible they read too much into that (I’m certainly not qualified to judge).

3 Likes
11 Likes