Archaeology Today

Only if you’re an urn-half-empty sort of guy.

Actually I’d be worried if the urn in question was one of the ones that the article says was made of lead, or if the mourners had added lead to the wine to sweeten it, as Romans did.

7 Likes
11 Likes

I still don’t understand why it had to be a tsunami, and not a normal bridge collapse.

6 Likes

Maybe it was a cheese tsunami caused by a fondue mishap during a ritual sacrifice on the bridge?

10 Likes

It’s akin to a Montilla morile (according to the analysis in the article) so I would suggest going there and getting a really fresh one. That’s not one of the great ageing styles. In fact it typically doesn’t travel well and the best I have tasted have been from somewhere I could see the vines.

A lot of the really old wine we have uncovered is “travel wine” (my term) something like a Madeira, pre oxidised in the attic before being sold to be taken on ships. Maybe this involved an aging process and white wines and liquor wines like this are some of the best able to withstand time, but the styles they mentioned are all young.

And I’d recommend going there. Ask for “algo typica” whenever queried about food and drink preferences. They’ll look after you.

6 Likes

But the attraction of this movie is that it’s real and we used real people and events. But you changed everything that happened. Don’t be stupid! Storytelling takes precedence and we have to be true to the story!

Yeah fuck off fuckers wanting to have your cakes and eat it.

2 Likes
7 Likes

The Beer Version, Rogue Brewing’s Dead Guy Ale.

4 Likes
10 Likes

6 Likes

He added it showed our ancestors were capable of traversing the Mediterranean Sea “without a line of sight to any coast”.

Or they were driven away from the coast by a storm. Or pirates.

9 Likes

“This find reveals to us as never before the ancient mariners’ navigational skills,” said Jacob Sharvit, head of the IAA’s marine unit. He added it showed our ancestors were capable of traversing the Mediterranean Sea “without a line of sight to any coast”.

“Or maybe not” he conceded.

8 Likes

The reason that the Neanderthal Y chromosomes never passed to homo sapiens sapiens might be because it was involuntary mating dudes.

4 Likes

It does mention that idea. It would have to all be involuntary the same direction though, sapiens males attacking neanderthal females, and it mentions neanderthal mtDNA is also missing. (I guess that doesn’t count as another piece since it’s not part of the genome itself.)

4 Likes
8 Likes

The more things change…

10 Likes

So, little has changed for us knowledge workers…

7 Likes

So, neither mtDNA nor Y chromosome DNA from Neanderthals found in Homo sap genome. Hmmm, obviously then, this was alien CRISPR experimentation. Proof at last!!

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

4 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes