Archaeology Today

Neanderthals and modern humans made babies 47,000 years ago

Genome analysis refines timing of critical and mysterious juncture in human history

https://www.science.org/content/article/neanderthals-and-modern-humans-made-babies-47-000-years-ago

4 Likes

2 Likes

More like:

3 Likes

Even the updates only highlight the genius of the original Antikythera Mechanism. Next I’d like to see someone using it to navigate, which is probably quite a skill too.

5 Likes
12 Likes
3 Likes

Finally, it will go to trial

4 Likes

So here’s the question-did he do the things portrayed in the film? If those were actual events, then his complaint that they made him look bad doesn’t matter. If they created those events just for the film, that gives his complaint credence.

There was a documentary shot at the time that literally shows Philippa Langley at the press conference the movie says she was excluded from. I don’t know any of the people who were involved in the excavation but everything I hear second and third hand says that it is complete slander.

4 Likes

That’s bad for the production company. Academic infighting can be truly horrific. (I know, Langley was an amature, but still…)

I don’t really see this as academic infighting really, tbh. I have yet to meet an archaeologist who doesn’t take Richard Taylor’s side here. It’s just media people fucking over archaeologists for no other reason than making them the bad guy makes for a better screenplay.

Which is fine in terms of storytelling, but not when your movie is based on real people whose real names you use.

Plus, of course, it’s very much in the zeitgeist to have a storyline that’s very much “don’t trust the experts”

6 Likes

Has Langley herself spoken up to give her version of events?

1 Like

No, and I doubt she would, what with it being an active libel case (that she isn’t involved in, but her sympathies clearly lie with Coogan).

2 Likes

Ruiz Arrebola admits he half-jokingly suggested to the lead archaeologist, Juan Manuel Román, that they have “a tiny little glass” to celebrate the discovery.

It’s not toxic…

"But I’d have qualms about that because this wine has spent 2,000 years in contact with the cremated body of a dead Roman. …

:thinking: “qualms” :nauseated_face:

10 Likes

It’s just got a few ashes in it. That’s less off-putting than tapping the cask containing Admiral Nelson’s body pickled in brandy (or rum).

allegedly-supposedly

5 Likes

Like worms in Mezcal - it’s a flavor enhancer.

8 Likes

disgusted sarah michelle gellar GIF

9 Likes

Speaking of preserved liquids

archaeologists working in the cellar of the Mansion have unearthed an astounding 35 glass bottles from the 18th century in five storage pits. Of the 35 bottles, 29 are intact and contain perfectly preserved cherries and berries, likely gooseberries or currants

7 Likes

Imagine if it tasted wonderful though. What would you do? Spend your life sighing over the chance other millennium-old liquors with cremated remains in them? Start experimenting to duplicate the flavor? Maybe it’s better if it’s just gross.

7 Likes

Be warned. Do not google “sourtoe cocktail”. The link below is the only one I could find without extremely gross images.

5 Likes