Archie comics CEO being sued for calling employees "penis"

I think the more shocking part of the story is that there is
still a company that creates archie comics.

12 Likes

this episode of reality seems to have been written by seth mcfarlane.

5 Likes

Im sure people shouldnt be blanketed. And that abuse is bad, no matter the victim. I think its worth defending those statements.

If you want to go exact, yes i did say “as bad” , I guess i could be clearer , im sorry. Not exaclty my first language:

sexist abuse on a woman is bad both because it happens and because the societal situation around them ensures less protection about those.

However that doesnt mean that abuse on men should be dismissed or made light of. The double standard is pretty creepy.
Some of those posters that I was replying to were dismissing abuse on men simply because it was practiced on men.

Its never good to condone abuse, one way or another.

You seem like a reasonable person , I think you would agree with that.

3 Likes

You are right, prejudice is the term. Thank you.

Strong convictions are to be admired. If you are willing to give up your job, house, etc to back them up to some other less fortunate minority or other “disenfranchised group” member, I tip my hat to you, Sir.

As to “only so much harm”, ANY harm to ANY group is too much. And at what point do we stop the clock and say" Time Out, the white guys have been harmed too much, so now lets roll to see which group acts as their replacement.

And as a straight white male, I’d really like a chance at this “Easy Street” I keep hearing about.

5 Likes

Being a SWM doesn’t automatically make life easy. But you have to be practically blind if you really can’t see that it does make life easier.

10 Likes

It’s not a free pass at life, it’s a discount ticket on hardship. All other factors being equal, you’re almost always better off being a straight white male than any other group.

16 Likes

Perhaps she just has a very odd variant of Tourette’s…

4 Likes

Since the law suit is about gender discrimination, I realize gender politics are hard to ignore, but considering the Hell Angels, obsession with her husbands’ handgun, and stalking accusations, I’m more inclined to focus on the batshit crazy aspects. If true, these are much more disturbing than the frequent cries of “Penis!”

3 Likes

It seems like the point you are making isn’t controversial. Its just that the language used when discussing these issues can be very powerful, so it pays to be as clear as possible.

4 Likes

Unless you work in Linden Labs…

If groups are to be judged by their lunatic fringes, then it doesn’t look too great for feminism either. Granted, I’ve briefly posted on the MR subreddit and ran into quite a few straight-up misogynists, but in my experience, the amount of crazies is higher than in the moderate feminist subreddits, but not significantly so. The amount of demonization, e.g., comparing MR to white power movements, seems somewhat disproportionate. I encourage everyone to go there, read a couple of side bar links and discussions, and form their own opinion. Maybe reddit doesn’t house the real MRs though, I don’t know.

3 Likes

And they say that chivalry is dead…

[quote]
It’s not a free pass at life, it’s a discount ticket on hardship. All other factors being equal, you’re almost always better off being a straight white male than any other group.[/quote]

I see where you’re going with this. As a SWM, I have the POTENTIAL of having an easier life, therefore I am automatically a winner in life and therefore I should feel guilty.

I am officially humbled, as the two of you are obviously the products of modern higher education, and not having been properly schooled on the damage my race and gender has done to the world and society as a whole, I am ignorant of just how good I have it.

3 Likes

No. As a SWM, your class does not experience widespread systemic discrimination on a scale that warrants special legal protections. You can sue someone for the harm they’ve caused to you as an individual, it’s just harder to sue someone for the harm they’ve contributed to all the poor oppressed straight white guys out there.

10 Likes

Exactly, and Silberkleit’s argument for why the case should be thrown out seems to suffer from the misapprehension that since men are not an oppressed group, it is acceptable to sexually harass men and discriminate against them.

4 Likes

It’s never too late to get educated. Nor to lose the sarcastic sneer.

8 Likes

And there is the problem. Thinking in terms of CLASSES instead of INDIVIDUALS. As a small business owner, I deal with individuals every day. I have never had to deal with a class in a transaction. Individual interactions are the normal day to day function of the majority of people. I contend that it’s the people that insist on grouping people into classes that are the problem with society. As far as I’m concerned, everyone is equal until proved otherwise. Meanwhile, I’m considered unequal (or more than equal), and minorities or other groups are automatically considered less equal by those contending that there is a need for systematic inequality to “level” the playing field. I reject your entire mode of thinking that automatically applies “class” prejudices, therefore falsely assuming a need to correct them.

6 Likes

Sarcasm is sometimes the last refuge a person has to protect himself from profound inanity.

3 Likes

And I reject your mode of thinking that fails to realize that women and members of other groups have long been discriminated against, just for being members of those groups, and for failing to realize as well that as a result, they haven’t caught up yet. AND that they’re still often discriminated against.

You sound a lot like the white guy in this concise, insightful cartoon. And yes, it does matter that he’s white, and that the other person is black. Because race still matters, and so does gender, and class, and sexuality, and so on.

8 Likes