Are you sick of "Minions" yet?

[Read the post]

1 Like

Despicable Me 2 made me sick of minions before the meme became an epidemic. I have no desire whatsoever to see the Minions movie.

5 Likes

I like 'em. Never could stomach Smurfs, but Minions embrace juuust enough fart humor to keep me engaged.

I am not a sophisticated audient.

18 Likes

They’re cute too. And I like the gibberish language (not precisely gibberish, I recognize both Spanish and Russian words in it) a lot better than replacing all the adjectives and half the nouns with “smurf”.

11 Likes

I recently saw Inside Out, and during the promo pre-show, some talking head types asked several children about Minions. The kids had all seen the Despicable Me films, and offered suitable cute and enthusiastic answers, except:

At one point the talking heads asked the kids if they would like to BE a Minion. The kids all said “Yes!”, and gave cute explanations, but all I could think was – why didn’t any of the grownups involved in this remember what the word “minion” means? Even the capital-M Minions have obviously hazardous jobs.

I suppose I’m having an over-paranoid moment, but encouraging people, especially children, to identify with disenfranchised, overworked, group-thinking, disposable slaves/test subjects seems kind of evil. I mean, in the Despicable Me films they’re funny, but the whole point is they worshipfully work for a bad guy who treats them poorly, yet they love him anyhow.

13 Likes

They are also pretty much unkillable and have incredible lifespans.

6 Likes

Groupthink is sooo powerful. The older I get, the more I see it. Everyone wants to be a minion because it’s easy.

7 Likes

someone has too much sand in their butt

5 Likes

So hipsters are too cool for Minions?

That’s kind of sad.

2 Likes

I’ve had worse bosses, and I’m not even a lumpy yellow cartoon character.

No really, I’m not.

7 Likes

I haven’t seen any of these movies and therefore, am apathetic to Minions.

6 Likes

I’m sick of minions from the beginning. I did not saw the first Despicable Me film but I guessed they would be just slapstick flat characters, I saw the second film and had enough.

1 Like

I’ve been sick of them ever since the first movie came out. I was traveling abroad and the ugly things infested every subway station, their blank CG faces staring from enormous billboards on the walls.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the inevitable Minion/Adipose crossover.

3 Likes

One of the blogs that I follow in my newsfeed has a major dislike of them and has been reblogging everything minion (from minion themed weddings to other anti-minion rants).
Wolf and the music. // look, look. if i die tomorrow, if some unfortunate…

i HATE those yellow Minions. i have always HATED them. i hate minion themed things. i hate how they are EVERYWHERE and i hate whichever sh!!post looked at those evil potato croquette lookin motherfrackers and decided they needed a full length film. i HATE them.

Myself? What The Donald said.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any of these movies and therefore, am apathetic to Minions.

I assume you’re not on Facebook.

5 Likes

The first movie was surprisingly good. I avoided it due to over-Minioning until it was on a plane. Maybe it was my vulnerable state of mind in the 12th hr of an 18 hour flight, but it was funny and touching, and I liked the little guys a lot.

I don’t remember the last time I’ve been subject to such a marketing flood as the new Minions movie, though. They’re everywhere. On my Amazon packaging, on my food, in every store. They’re in every third Facebook post. On TV constantly. I want to actively avoid this movie out of spite, now.

7 Likes

having never seen the movies they are in, and being only barely aware of their slapstick angle, i love the comparison of them to the smurfs. NOW I GET IT. that makes perfect sense: they are the smurfs for millennials, or the post-millennials.

1 Like

I think it was between the first and second movie that I made a comment to a coworker that we needed a minion. Having not seen the films myself, I couldn’t figure out what he was suddenly on about. All I wanted was an intern or some other lackey to handle menial IT tasks. Sheesh.

2 Likes

I am, but haven’t seen those. That, um, is a thing? Maybe I need more friends.

1 Like