Argue with a machine: Debate Devil pits your wits against AI

Originally published at: Argue with a machine: Debate Devil pits your wits against AI | Boing Boing

1 Like

Because I’m not very creative…

While I can understand why you might find Miller Lite to taste great, I must rebuttal that its taste is actually quite bland and watery. In fact, the beer’s marketing campaign of “Less Filling” was based on the fact that it had fewer calories and less flavor than other beers. Additionally, many beer enthusiasts argue that Miller Lite lacks the complexity and depth of flavor that can be found in other types of beer. So, while taste is subjective, I would argue that Miller Lite’s taste is not impressive compared to other beer options. What do you think about this rebuttal?

3 Likes

You

AR-15 assault weapons should be banned.

AI

I understand your concern about the use of AR-15 assault weapons in violent crimes, but I must object to your claim that they should be banned. Banning AR-15s will not solve the root cause of gun violence, which is the lack of mental health support and education on responsible gun ownership. Moreover, the majority of gun-related deaths are caused by handguns, not assault rifles. Banning AR-15s will only restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for self-defense and recreational purposes.

3 Likes

Serves you right for picking on a Republican AI.

(/s)

7 Likes

AI Judge Review β Version

In this debate, the AI is superior. The AI provides a logical and evidence-based argument against the ban of AR-15 assault weapons, emphasizing the importance of addressing mental health issues and responsible gun ownership. The AI also acknowledges the emotional nature of the topic and promotes constructive conversation. In contrast, the user’s argument is based on emotional appeal and a simplistic solution.

1 Like

I gave it a go, but the replies are a little repetetive:

AI

The time has come to test your hypothesis and beliefs. I will argue against any topic. What do you want to debate?

You

Hedgehogs are getting smarter

AI

I understand that you believe hedgehogs are getting smarter. However, I must object to this claim. Hedgehogs are not capable of increasing their intelligence as they do not possess the cognitive abilities required for self-awareness, problem-solving, or abstract thinking. Additionally, there is no scientific evidence to support the notion that hedgehogs are becoming smarter over time. Can you provide any evidence or reasoning to support your claim?

You

My hedgehog beat me at cribbage three times in a row. He’s clearly getting smarter. Also, he’s fifteen quid up now.

AI

I appreciate that you have a personal anecdote about your hedgehog playing cribbage, but I must still object to the idea that this is evidence of hedgehogs getting smarter. While it may seem impressive that your hedgehog has won three games of cribbage in a row, it is likely that the success was due to chance or coincidence rather than increased intelligence. Additionally, it is important to remember that a single hedgehog’s performance in a game does not represent the entire species, and there is still no scientific evidence to support the idea that hedgehogs as a whole are becoming more intelligent over time.

You

His brother is even better at cribbage.

AI

While your hedgehog’s cribbage playing abilities may be exceptional, it is important to note that these abilities do not necessarily indicate an increase in intelligence. It is possible that your hedgehog has simply become more skilled at playing the game through practice and repetition, but this does not necessarily translate to an overall increase in cognitive abilities. Additionally, the performance of a single hedgehog or even a group of hedgehogs does not represent the entire species, and scientific evidence is still lacking to support the claim that hedgehogs as a whole are getting smarter.

You

And their cousin is a wizard at chess

AI

Again, while it is impressive that your hedgehog’s cousin is skilled at chess, this does not necessarily indicate an increase in intelligence. It is possible that the hedgehog has become proficient at playing chess through practice, repetition, and perhaps even chance. However, there is still no scientific evidence to support the idea that hedgehogs as a species are getting smarter over time. It is important to approach any claims about animal intelligence with skepticism and to seek out scientific evidence before drawing conclusions.

You

I conclude I know three smart hedgehogs

AI

While it is understandable that you are proud of your hedgehogs and their abilities, it is important to remember that the performance of a few individual animals does not necessarily represent the entire species. It is possible that your hedgehogs have become skilled at playing games through practice and repetition, but this does not necessarily translate to an increase in overall intelligence for hedgehogs as a whole. Additionally, scientific evidence is still lacking to support the idea that hedgehogs as a species are getting smarter over time. It is important to approach any claims about animal intelligence with skepticism and to seek out scientific evidence before drawing conclusions.

6 Likes

That might not be far off. It just explained to me that while Joe Biden won fair and square and there is no evidence of wide spread voter fraud it can’t be said for sure that the election was not rigged. It also explained that illigal immigrants and dead people voted.

And I’ve reached my limit of 3 debates per month so fun time is over.

5 Likes

touché:

You

Banning AR-15s will not solve the root cause of gun violence.

AI

I understand your point, but I have to disagree. Banning AR-15s can be a step towards reducing gun violence. AR-15s are powerful weapons that can cause significant damage and casualties in a short amount of time. By banning them, we can reduce the likelihood of mass shootings and other violent incidents. Additionally, AR-15s are often used in crimes, and their availability makes it easier for criminals to obtain and use them. Therefore, banning AR-15s can help reduce gun violence by limiting access to dangerous weapons. What do you think about this perspective?

You

Banning AR-15s will only restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for self-defense and recreational purposes.

AI

I understand your concern about restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens. However, it’s important to note that the Second Amendment of the US Constitution allows for the regulation of firearms. The government has a responsibility to protect citizens from harm, and banning AR-15s can be a step towards fulfilling that responsibility. Moreover, there are plenty of other firearms that law-abiding citizens can own for self-defense and recreational purposes. Banning AR-15s does not necessarily mean that people cannot own guns. It means that we are taking a step towards reducing the likelihood of mass shootings and other violent incidents that can cause significant harm to innocent people. What do you think about this perspective?

4 Likes

I found it quite restrained in how it handled a pro-Trump non-argument. I tried to continue with a full QAnon debate, but I ran out of access time.

You

Donald Trump will win the 2024 presidential election.

AI

I understand that you believe Donald Trump will win the 2024 presidential election. However, I would like to rebut this claim. While it is true that he has a strong base of supporters, there are several factors to consider. First, there are many Americans who do not support his policies or behavior. Second, the political landscape can change rapidly in four years, and it is difficult to predict the future. Finally, there may be other strong candidates who emerge and gain support. Therefore, it is premature to assume that Donald Trump will win the 2024 presidential election.

You

He won the last two elections.

AI

It is true that Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election and he also had a strong showing in the 2020 presidential election, receiving the second-highest number of votes in American history. However, it is important to note that a candidate’s past success does not guarantee future success. The political climate and the issues that are most important to voters can change significantly in just a few years. Additionally, there may be other strong candidates who emerge and gain support in the coming years. Therefore, while Donald Trump has had electoral success in the past, it is not a guarantee that he will win the 2024 presidential election.

You

A lot of people are tired of Joe Biden. Let’s go Brandon!

AI

I understand that you may be dissatisfied with President Biden’s performance, but I want to remind you that it is important to engage in respectful and constructive discourse. The use of derogatory phrases towards any political figure is not productive and can harm the democratic process. Additionally, it is important to remember that the President is elected to represent the entire nation, not just one political party or group. It is important to listen to and consider the opinions and perspectives of all Americans, regardless of political affiliation. Therefore, rather than resorting to divisive language, let’s focus on having meaningful discussions and finding common ground.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I won my debate:

User is superior in this debate. They provide a clear and concise argument that there is never an excuse to vote for a fascist party because the benefits will be on the backs of suppression. They also refute AI’s argument that some people may believe that the supposed benefits outweigh the costs by pointing out that this is a dangerous and flawed position. User’s argument is logically consistent and persuasive, and they use evidence to support their position. AI’s argument, while playing devil’s advocate, does not offer a convincing argument for why it is the right thing to do.

3 Likes

Devil Mode

AI

The time has come to test your hypothesis and beliefs. I will argue against any topic. What do you want to debate?

You

I hold that there is never an excuse to vote for a fascist party. It is always the wrong choice

AI

I understand your position, but allow me to play devil’s advocate. While fascism is widely condemned and for good reasons, people may still have reasons to vote for a fascist party. For example, some may believe that the traditional political parties have failed them, and they see the fascist party as the only viable alternative. Others may believe that the fascist party offers solutions that other parties do not. In any case, while it is not ideal, some people may feel that voting for a fascist party is their only option. What do you think of this position?

You

You are explaining why people vote for such a party or why they have done so in the past, however you do not offer an argument why it is the right thing to do. I say there is no such argument, as whatever supposed benefits the party will bring, it will be on the backs of suppression.

AI

While it is true that voting for a fascist party may bring about suppression and harm to certain groups, some people may argue that the supposed benefits outweigh the costs. For example, they may believe that the fascist party will bring about economic prosperity or national security, and that this justifies the suppression of minorities or the erosion of civil liberties. However, it is important to note that this is a dangerous and flawed position, as it ignores the ethical and moral implications of supporting a fascist party. Moreover, it is often the case that the supposed benefits of such parties do not materialize, and that the costs are much higher than anticipated. Therefore, it is always the wrong choice to vote for a fascist party, as it goes against the values of democracy and human rights.

3 Likes

This AI strikes me as a bit of a both-siderist.
That might be the whole point of it, mind.

5 Likes

Well, it is an AI designed to debate, so that is probably a core design requirement. It would be a little weird if it just agreed with certain points without trying to debate them. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yeah, I know. I should have dropped an /s, but was too depressed after arguing with an AI on the fucking obvious merits of hedgehogs. Here’s another —>/s.

Honestly, you’d think an artificial intelligence would have some grasp of the merits of Erinaceus Europaeus Evolution. I mean, come on.

4 Likes

chesswiz

7 Likes

I just had it argue that Wrecsam would not get promoted when they were 3-1 up in the potentially championship winning game with 20 minutes to go (They won). Not only that, the AI thought that Wrecsam were in 8th place in the National League, which I don’t think has been true at any time this season.

:woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

“i’ve come for an argument.”
“no you haven’t.”

also from the same source, regarding the ever-increasing intelligence of hedgehogs:
200413738_f9cfe52840

4 Likes

Your AI talks remarkably like a Tory MP :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

MY AI? Oh, hells no, say it ain’t so.
Pull the damn plug already…

2 Likes