Ariana Grande will not perform 'Barbecue Finger' at the Grammys

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/06/ariana-grande-will-not-perform.html

2 Likes

BBQ Finger is the name of my new band

9 Likes

Isn’t Ariana Grande relatively hip and young? Why hasn’t she figured out yet that she needs to own this and write a fucking summer-banger hit named “BBQ finger” and win the internet? I would think a lifetime of the surname “Grande” would have prepared her… Does she think one can take oneself seriously in these times?

17 Likes

I mean, Sticky Fingers worked for the Stones, so why not lean into the hibachi theme?

Seriously though, friends don’t let friends Google Translate and ink.

10 Likes

The fact that corporate media in the form of the Grammy’s get’s to choose the songs is why it’s relevant only to pop music.

2 Likes

I’m not sure the the Grammy’s are relevant to any style of music.

7 Likes

This happens often to professional performers. As soon as you allow somebody to pay you to perform, the performance no longer belongs to you. The presenter makes all kinds of decisions without you. The publicity is released without your approval. Ticket prices are set by the presenter. Even if the venue is half-full, you can’t get anybody in for free. And unless you stipulate in the contract that musicians will choose their own repertoire, presenters think they should be able to dictate that too.

2 Likes

Case in point:

2 Likes

BFE. Bbq Finger Energy.

3 Likes

Waaay better than BDE.

2 Likes

Next time try Argentina!

1 Like

Honestly, the fuss over BBQ finger is too much, and presumably only perpetuated by people who can’t read Japanese.

Sure, 七輪 was a dumb mistake, but the fix isn’t “broken”, it works when read vertically instead of left to right, which is obviously the intent. 七指輪♡ instead of 七輪指♡.

1 Like
2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that the tattoo is appropriation, it’s just not that great of a tattoo concept and the execution shows that she and her tattoo artist didn’t put a lot of effort/thought into it.

And when you don’t dictate what the lyrics are you get this

(sadly without footage of John Prescott, then Deputy Prime Minister, getting a bucket of iced water tipped over him)

Not that Chumbawamba would have paid any attention if they had been told to stick to the original lyrics.

2 Likes

Roger that! I just find it kind of funny that people are making such a big deal about this. People of all walks of life have been getting tattoos with badly translated/nonsense stuff in foreign languages for about as long as I can remember.

Ghod, I love Chumbawamba. Even when they “sold out” to a big record label they stayed just as edgy as ever – with the difference that they had a bigger platform and more money to throw toward their causes.

I’ve never seen footage of that but the stills are priceless.

2 Likes

When they did that they told their fans that they should just steal their music from shops if they couldn’t afford to buy it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.