Arizona GOP asks people to die for Trump

Came here to say something similar. I don’t mind if someone is willing to die for a cause. That’s martyrdom. What I don’t care for is people willing to kill for a cause. That’s terrorism.

17 Likes

the blue fingernails means it’s working!

5 Likes

A few weeks ago, we were driving down the highway and we were passed by a large Ford with the 3% symbol and a big “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death” vinyl sticker emblazoned on the rear window.

Me: “WTF … I keep seeing these 3% nitwits around here.”

Spouse: “What is 3%?”

I explain the idea there and he just starts laughing, so I ask what’s so funny?

Spouse: “ did you see that guy? He would shit his pants if he was ever faced with a decision between liberty and death.”

(The funny thing to me at the time was we were driving our tiny Prius when this dude blew past us. The beta male struts his stuff and performs manliness, the alpha male doesn’t give a crap what vehicle he drives as long as it gets him from point A to point B efficiently).

23 Likes

Imaginative posts here notwithstanding, this looks like a nothing burger to me.

3 Likes

With all the calls to violence from the far right… I’m shocked there hasn’t been more actual violence so far. Anyone remember the outrage about this: https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716258113/kathy-griffin-life-after-the-trump-severed-head-controversy I mean even liberal hollywood pretty much cancelled her…

9 Likes

Um,

Sure, most. Not all. The problem is, you don’t need a lot of shooters for effective terrorism. If only a handful of these guys decide they “need” to go on mass-shooting rampages, it would be one of the most significant acts of terror in modern history, and the GOP have repeated this message enough that the vast majority of Republicans have now accepted it. Somebody’s going to end up dead, guaranteed.

Er, what does? The fact that the GOP themselves, after weeks of amplifying bogus election fraud stories, are now talking about people dying is a Big. Fucking. Deal. There’s no overstating this. They’ve normalized the end of democracy, effectively - getting their voters to accept that the vote has been compromised and violence is the solution. Even if no one actually responds to this with violence (which they absolutely will), they’ve mainstreamed two things that were previously unthinkable. It’s not like this is going to go away, either. This is the GOP, now.

31 Likes

I support this. Just find some place quiet and out of the way to do it so the rest of us can move on.

2 Likes

“The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.”

22 Likes

“I am willing to give my life for this fight…”

6 Likes

I do so love pointing out Rambo’s history to those who use his imagery.

18 Likes

Live for nothing, or die for something.

Hmm, I kinda think “nothing” and “something” should be flipped… There’s a few other options too…

6 Likes

John Rambo’s whole deal was that he was willing to do anything in the name of his country. As Trautman said:

Whatever you’re planning to throw at him here, he’s been through a whole lot worse, in lot worse places than this. […] A man who’s been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke.

That doesn’t sound like the kind of guy who would have a hissy fit when asked to wear a goddamn face mask.

29 Likes

Funny not funny how many are ready to kill or die for a cause but when it comes to reasonable small steps like, say, wearing a mask to reduce transmission of a highly infectious virus, hey man, that’s crazy talk.

On the bright side, ‘Liberty or Death!’ has been recognized as the wishy-washy equivocation it has always been, and replaced by the much more forceful and determinative ‘Liberty And Death!’

15 Likes

And this is part of why Arizona’s shifting toward blue these last couple elections. It’s not just Trump, it’s that our current GOP (under Kelli Ward) is too batshit crazy even for people who’ve backed the likes of Mecham, Symington, and Arpaio.

16 Likes

Ugh.

giphy (9) (2)

9 Likes

If they want to die for Trump, they should attend a rally, maskless, and cough in each other’s faces.

Really, as many of them can die for Trump as they wish. Just don’t kill or hurt anyone else.

8 Likes

And therein lies the problem.

25 Likes

If everybody knows that your enemy has no intention of killing you, claiming the you’re willing to die for your cause is kinda silly.

13 Likes

Don’t forget

18 Likes

38 Likes