GOP congress members could be forced to vote on Trump's coup attempt

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/10/gop-congress-members-could-be-forced-to-vote-on-trumps-coup-attempt.html

8 Likes

34 Likes

If they’re willing to do this for Trump when they know he’s on the way out the door then just imagine what they would have been willing to do for him if he’d somehow managed to get reelected.

54 Likes

Unless, of course, they’re the ones who write the history.

22 Likes

Or for the next one who tries it with a bit better brains/luck/backing …

14 Likes

20 Likes

Brrrrrrr. can we agree to not think about that, please?

10 Likes

For the GOP, it’s no longer about keeping Trump in office - it’s about keeping the doubt about elections long enough to get States to implement election “security” measures, all of which will merely add complexity, not security (National politicians can’t do that, but it benefits them more than it does the locals). If they make it impossible for even more non-white and poor people to vote, the GOP can keep winning elections, even though they are no longer close to being a majority. It’s more attractive to them than sharing power.

33 Likes

7 Likes

Trump is up at the bar, America is the bartender… he’s wasted and ranting about this and that… America looks at the clock… 1:59am, almost closing time thank god… maybe give a glance to the bouncer to indicate this guy might be a problem…

9 Likes

The already bear so many stains they look like a rag rug, noone’s going to notice a couple of new ones.

26 Likes

I suspect that even the GOP congressmen who are disgusted by Trump’s behavior, would still go on record supporting the coup just to stay in the good graces of their MAGA electorate.

29 Likes

Looks like 106 of them aren’t even going to wait that long…

24 Likes

Do it, you bloody death cultists. Show us what craven, democracy-hating arselickers you are.

35 Likes

Remember when they spent months complaining about how Democrats were trying to overturn the results of an election?

It’s always projection. Always.

57 Likes

That train is never late. It is a law of nature, as sure as republicans are assholes.

30 Likes

Not being Merkin, I read a summary of the process. The electors write down their votes on the first Monday after the second Wednesday of December on six bits of paper. They mail these to various places. One of the places is in DC, where these votes are opened and read out. When they’ve all been tallied the winner is announced by the vice president. That last relies on the VP not being an asshole. What would happen if he calls the wrong result? Is it the counting or the calling? Has it ever been tested, what would be the penalty?

7 Likes

As with all things associated with this administration, looks like the system is only so strong as someone not going, “nuh uh” when asked to do their freaking job.

10 Likes

as an 8th generation native texan i hang my head in shame over this craven sack of shit my fellow texans re-elected.

40 Likes

Thanks so much for that. Some of us were just getting used to not having panic attacks in our sleep. Depressingly accurate.

8 Likes