GOP congress members could be forced to vote on Trump's coup attempt

…their party will for years bear the stain of so outrageous and authoritarian a measure, as bright and red as the biblical Mark of the Beast.

I think that we’ve all learned by now that their hard-core followers don’t see this as a problem.
THAT is the problem.

9 Likes

“…very unlikely to happen, given the Democrats’ comfortable majority in the House.”
Not as comfortable as you may think. Remember that this happens after the new Congress takes office (which happens January 3rd). In the November elections the Democrats lost ten seats in the House and the Republicans gained fifteen (there were some vacant seats which accounts for those numbers not being the same).
And if Biden names more House members to positions in his cabinet/etc, that margin could shrink even more.

7 Likes

Trying to Cruz to victory?

Toadies, or just plain toads?

22 Likes

No, it’s not really about Trump anymore, he’s just the mascot for what the Republican party has morphed into. Supposedly multiple GOP congressmen have privately complained they have to go along with every crazy thing that comes down the pike now, because that’s what their voters want. Agree with the crazy or get challenged from farther to the right and don’t get re-elected.

They’re not swearing allegiance to Trump per se, they’re swearing allegiance to the conservative echo-chamber. When they made Rush Limbaugh an honorary member of congress in 1994 the die was cast.

15 Likes

What are you, the Nega-John Lennon?

9 Likes

Or, as some are now complaining, have your house firebombed.

8 Likes

…or adjusting their messaging to appeal to a majority of the electorate. So they’re doubling down on picking their voters instead of allowing the voters to pick their representatives.

9 Likes

Doesn’t shrink until the critters resign their office, which would probably take effect on January 20, 2021.

Xavier Bacerra is still my state AG and Kamala Harris is still one of my senators, and both will be until January 20.

14 Likes

Better to reflect on how close we got to a full fascist state now than to shrug it off and ignore it until the next election when it may be too late to do anything about it.

18 Likes

Never that; that the fight is just beginning is clearer than ever.

16 Likes

This. Unless America thinks about it and unless those about to be in power (Biden/Harris) act to fix some of the broken electoral/voting things (voter registration/gerrymandering etc) then you’ll probably be more than thinking about it in 2-4 years’ time. The rest of the world would probably like to see thought AND action. A near/neo-fascist US is not going to be healthy for the rest of the planet.

16 Likes

so what’s the ultra paranoid take on this?

to make the convention of the states seem like a reasonable alternative?

1 Like

I think of the situation as “yes, we just dodged a bullet—but that doesn’t mean they’ve stopped shooting at us.”

21 Likes

A Democracy Matrix cam moment.

5 Likes

28 Likes

This is way more dangerous than it looks.

Trump already knows won’t get his way in the courts, which is part of the reason he’s more petulant than usual. What he wants now is a bunch of “respectable” people (respectable in the eyes of the beholders, that is) to say that the election was rigged in order to incite his vast legion of violent morons to take up arms to try to overthrow the democracy. That’s why he’s so mad at Barr for saying this was a fair election - he wants every single person these dolts listens to to be on the same page.

What I don’t understand is that the Secret Service, FBI, and the Armed Forces all have unswavering loyalty to America. Even if all the top military leaders pledged fealty to Trump, he couldn’t possibly have enough hold on them such that the rank and file would stand by and let a bunch of armed insurrectionists burn down statehouses across the country. Instead of a nuke that changes everything, it’ll be nothing more than a fizzle and a dirty bomb.

I realize nothing would make his boss Putin happier than Americans shooting other than Americans, and that might be his only goal. But to what end for himself? To go down in the history books as the loser who incited a second civil war?

1 Like

Half of America sees it as winning.

10 Likes

I’ve been thinking of it as ‘missing the iceberg but we’re still at sea in treacherous waters.’

Didn’t even fucking vote.

Now some of that is due to age restrictions, or intentional voter suppression, but some is straight up apathy.

20 Likes

Instead the Republican party is handing him a mostly full bottle of scotch and a loaded handgun.

Yep, they don’t want to risk alienating the Trumpers who now make up the core of the Republican party - nor do they want Trumpers blowing up their houses.

Jesus. I hope this finally makes Biden realize that this bipartisan “unity” thing he was aiming for is dead, dead, dead.

So much of what’s happening right now has never been tested. So many firsts! (All terrible!) This administration has routinely and openly broken various laws, not to mention violated norms, and we’re seeing that the mechanisms for holding them to account have been broken.

14 Likes

Putin for the last four years:

giphy

12 Likes