Arizona shooting suspect is member of white power group that uses Internet more successfully than KKK

Mass incarceration based on profiling is a form of random violence.

8 Likes

This makes me sad. I’m sure it was bound to happen, but dammit I really liked the marching hammers! No I’m not a skinhead but thanks for checking.

He has a point. While many people enjoy tattoos for purely decoration and personal reason, there are a lot of people who have them for gang affiliation. I am sure when spotted cops spend extra time shaking them down.

To be clear, not worried about the girl with a star on her cheek or the guy with a Samoan tribal design. Am worried about a guy with “white power” where his eyebrows should be, or MS13 on his chest. Context and all.

And that isn’t random violence - if you are profiling you have a plan and a method.

When the cops decided that anyone wearing a Thor’s hammer pendant or sporting Celtic knotwork tattoos was a violent racist fresh out of prison it didn’t work out real well for my friends who had those distinguishing features long before the prison gangs started doing it. We did get a pseudo-apology from the SPLC, though.

Tell me this: I see a lot of cars with “88” on them. These people claim to be fans of something called “NASCAR”, whatever that is, and some guy named “Earnhardt”. But you and I know that 88 stands for “Heil Hitler”, so why don’t we just have the cops blanket arrest everyone with “88” or “NASCAR” or “Earnhardt” stickers? I’m pretty sure they’re probably statistically more likely to be violent racist chuckleheads than anyone else.

It is not about tattoos it’s about displaying know hate symbols. If i see a German 20 something kid out walking, I do not assume he is antisemitic. If he is wearing a swastika t shirt I am thinking he probably is.

The technical term is “bad apple”

That’s the argument made about white supremacists, that they are lone wolves. This is the terminology that the FBI/law enforcement and more importantly, the media, has been using in recent years. Timothy McVeigh was influenced by the Turner Diaries, but that is no reflection on western, American culture. But muslims who take violent political action are imagined to be shaped and conditioned by their culture or religion, in almost a cult like manner. Hence, muslims are terrorists, and other muslims/their religion/culture are responsible for them, but white men who do similar things are no real reflection on the culture they come from.

But yeah, people would use the term bad apple too.

7 Likes

When have they never played fast-and-loose with fascism-in-the-west?

That video is in a lineage from Triumph of the Will, yes, but also Wes Anderson and The Men Who Stare at Goats.

The whole N.A.T.O. album was brilliant (I saw it live in Budapest, once upon an ancient mittel-europan time). I admit, I haven’t heard much of them in the past 10 years. Maybe they’ve started to drink the kool-aid they’ve been accusing the rest of us of drinking.

(Jesus Christ Superstar is from a different album)

I’m still partial to the the Let It Be album and the various versions/remixes of Sympathy for the Devil.

If they were from California they’d have been The Polyphonic Spree with more cultish overtones (yes, I know: DALLAS).

Or, if they’d been astrophysicists from a Nazi-domination England:

1 Like

I’m actually writing a paper about these guys for a grad student conference on capitalism in May (they fit into my master’s thesis on punk in Yugoslavia, too). I’m comparing them and Fela Kuti as examples of political popular music, that both carries a criticism of capitalism, while circulating within a field of capitalist cultural production, globally.

I don’t think Laibach has given up their vision, actually. If anything, I’d say they are once again, hitting the zeitgeist in just the same way that they did in the decade after Tito’s death and on into the period of the Balkan wars. What they have to say, however unclear some people might find it, is extremely relevant.

Also, I wished they were coming to town on their upcoming tour, but sadly, no.

1 Like

I ducking love Laibach, to the inexplicable chagrin of a large percentage of my friends and family. My girlfriend likes them though. She’s a keeper.

2 Likes

But that would be the worst kind of profiling that could potentially get a lot of white people arrested… The justice system is only interested in profiling that leads to brown people being hassled for no reason.

But it is sooooooo depressing. If you haven’t had a chance to watch this weeks Vice News on HBO, they touched on the subject of militias in America (not from a white power perspective, but it was hard not to notice that damn near everyone in those militias were white). That shit is scary. Hoard all the ar-15s you want, but when the government drones start cruising American skies in earnest, it’s game over man.

There must be some way to convince these people to change the name of their club to Hammerforeskin.

1 Like

The Intelligence Report tracks all the racist hate groups, but yeah, I think about 80% of them are self-proclaimed “White Christian Patriots”.

But don’t worry - government drones aren’t flying over Elohim City! You can still get away with being a nutbag militant racist in American as long as you’re nominally Christian.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.