Arkansas follows Georgia in passage of voter restriction laws

Originally published at: Arkansas follows Georgia in passage of voter restriction laws | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So tired of this shit.

24 Likes

I can only assume Alabama and Mississippi are waiting and watching to make sure that their new racist voter restriction laws will out-awful the others.

15 Likes

We hold this truth to be self-evident, “All Republicans are assholes.”

18 Likes

As a resident of one of these states I can say that there is pushback, though likely futile. We are, however, already organizing groups to go provide food and water at voting sites in order to get ourselves arrested.

24 Likes

From the activity on all these bills it must be possible to locate, at least in time, the secret meeting wherein the republicans declared to all their operatives nation-wide: “It is now time for the final option, since they’ve discovered the party is no longer a representative body, we must destroy the freedom to vote where-ever we can.”

10 Likes

It’s almost like the people who wrote sections 4(b) and 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 knew exactly what they were doing.

At best, the SCOTUS was horribly naive when they struck down those sections in Shelby County v Holder.

edit: forget a ‘when’

11 Likes

Nice, I approve. I’ll take the same step if it happens in any state that surrounds me (Maryland would never pass such a ban, but maybe PA or WV might, both of which are close).

7 Likes

My concern with this approach is that the votes from that particular site will then be ruled invalid due to “illegal activity” that took place on voting day. I’m hoping these ridiculous restrictions motivate voting rights groups to help the voters do whatever it takes to have their votes legally counted.

5 Likes

This is one of the groups that writes most of the odious laws…

And the rank and file are kept in line to support these extreme laws via threats of pulling election funding and primarying from the right.

There’s no real “cabal” just shitty, well-funded right wing ideology that’s incredibly organized.

16 Likes

18 Likes

Make a post here once your group has a bail fund up. I’ll donate.

14 Likes

Why all the angst? All they are doing is making sure that THOSE PEOPLE can’t vote but WE CAN. Different methods but same old south aims. Besides, those hoods and robes are so 20th century and are entirely too hot.

4 Likes

We urge Governor Hutchinson to listen to the concerns raised by Arkansans across the political spectrum and veto these anti-voter bills.

Huh? Hutchinson is already recovering from the highway mugging that befell him when he didn’t merrily join the anti-trans hate parade. Sign in some laws that will make 2022 a “fair” election? He’ll jump at the opportunity, like a trained bow-wow.

2 Likes

Well, people are threatening to boycott Home Depot and Coke and MLB moved the game so consumer pressure works! Now, what does Arkansas produce that everyone in the country cares about?

Ok, besides a college football team…

well, shit…

3 Likes

Arkansas is the home of walmart, it is also a major producer of rice and chicken (Tyson foods).
A widespread walmart boycott would get the Arkansas republicans to jump to attention fast enough to go through the ceiling

8 Likes

unfortunately, everyone that might boycott Walmart over this probably already doesn’t shop there out of principle anyway.

3 Likes

We need to start treating states that do this like the rogue states they are, because that is some North Korea shit that they’re doing right there.

2 Likes

Mmmkayyy. Let’s now pass laws that make it illegal for any district to not provide adequate access to voters which cause them to go longer than the FDC’s recommendations for food/water, or which cause them to lose more than 2 hours of time from work…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.