Republican Rep. in Alabama arrested and charged for voter fraud

Originally published at: Republican Rep. in Alabama arrested and charged for voter fraud | Boing Boing

11 Likes

I hope he is convicted and sentenced appropriately. Unlike the GOP, when I say I care about election integrity, I don’t just mean that I want my guy to win, and fcuk everyone else. I actually want to see the wheels of democracy turn without some jackhole running them off the road.

24 Likes

Says the guy who commits more fraud through gerrymandering and voter suppression than Cole could commit in a lifetime of voting for himself in every precinct mutiple times.

16 Likes

I am shocked to my very core that the party screaming everywhere about voter fraud would have another case of one of its own committing the said fraud!

21 Likes

Is it ever not projection with Repulicans?

21 Likes

No.

14 Likes

That’s how empathy works. You try to predict other people’s behavior by imagining what you would do in their shoes. And when you are a raging asshole, you figure everybody else is a raging asshole. If they aren’t acting like a raging asshole, they must be hiding something and can’t be trusted.

10 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

That’s not empathy, that’s just pure projection. Empathy is the ability to actually understand others feelings on their own merits, not assuming that they are just versions of you.

19 Likes

Maybe we should stop calling them this even sarcastically. Start calling Democrats the law-and-order party, force Republicans to explain why they deserve the title. “Its ours. It goes back to Nixon. . . oh. Um. Nevermind”

11 Likes

Nice to see that Betteridge’s Law can be applied to comments too :smile:

10 Likes

And this surprises exactly who? Anyone? Anyone?
Raise your hand if this surprised you in any way… you at the back, oh, you were just stretching… ok
I’m sure this good ol boy will get a good ol, finger wagin bless your heartin pinky swearin ta never ever ever do it agin an get caught. Honest!

The reason they always yap on about voter fraud is because they are doing it.

11 Likes

Do we have any rules at the national level that any member of congress convicted of a Federal Felony shall be automatically ejected from their seat? Because that sounds like a damn fine idea.

11 Likes

Usually a button press is required.
BriefTallImperialeagle-max-1mb

8 Likes

A similar case happen here. With a Democrat. She registered in a different place and successfully won her election. She was convicted of fraud, put on probation and fined a pitance. She was also ejected from her seat. The local Democratic committee got to install who they chose for the seat, which I assume is the same thing that’s going to happen in this case. It’s the worst outcome for democracy when others choose who our representatives are.

4 Likes

if we don’t hold individuals accountable for their actions because we’re afraid it will undermine democracy, we’re doing something wrong

7 Likes

A cursory search engine result did not reveal the where, when or who, could you elaborate on those critical data points, please?

6 Likes
3 Likes

(excerpt) Rep. David Cole signed a lease in 2021 to pay $5 per month for a 5-by-5 space in a home in order to run for office in House District 10 but never ‘stepped past the entry foyer,’ his plea agreement shows.

60 days in jail for his clearly established voter fraud??

3 Likes

bright side, mr. cole, your “office space” just grew to 6x10’.

5 Likes

Bright side for Cole: Alabamians are paying the “rent”.

3 Likes