Article tries to describe The Cheesecake Factory

Originally published at: Article tries to describe The Cheesecake Factory | Boing Boing

8 Likes

You know, I’ve never been to a cheesecake factory…?

9 Likes

Anytime I’ve gone I’ve waited in line for way too long, then left. The server tells you “about a 20 minute wait” every time though, but I’ve never waited for less than an hour. People just won’t leave the table when they’re done.

9 Likes

Honestly, at my age… if I get to a place and the wait is over 20 or so minutes, I don’t stay around… I’m too old for that kind of wait. Most food isn’t worth that long…

Probably too full to move? :thinking:

Here’s what I get when I type in “cheesecake factory” in the gif thingie:

mikey day snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

9 Likes

Alvaro Morte Cheesecake GIF by HBO ASIA

4 Likes

But is it, though? I guess we’ll never find out!

4 Likes

When I first went to the one in downtown Chicago, I thought to myslelf, “My God, I’m trapped in Dr. Seuss’ digestive tract”. $0.02

19 Likes

Not Funny Smile GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

8 Likes

Dear Mr. Beschizza,
Please provide a mailing address to which we may send your Pulitzer Prize.

12 Likes

That’s what they were going for? It’s like Trump’s idea of opulence lol

8 Likes

Are there any next door to an Old Spaghetti Factory, for a dinner/desert combo?

6 Likes

For me a visit tends to be overall disappointing. I’m not much into cheesecake, and I love their chicken mushroom marsala but I can’t justify paying that much for a meal. (any time I get a gift card, though…)

4 Likes

That is a perfect description of my one and only visit.

5 Likes

There were a lot of what they called Greek diners back in the 1960s that had menus like that. You could tell it was a real Greek diner because they had a section of Greek specialties along with everything else and they had oversized desserts in a glass display case. 13 Coins in the Seattle area is one of the few survivors of this genre.

The factory system in the kitchen was common in the 1970s. I remember a tour of Joyce Chen’s large eating place, as they called it, in Fresh Pond near Boston. They had a kung pao station, a yu hsiang station and so on. Each station had the ingredients and a set of woks ready to cook. My guess is that a lot of large restaurants have been doing this kind of specialization since forever.

I doubt I’ll ever eat in a Cheesecake Factory. I don’t eat out much and don’t go to a lot of chain restaurants. Still, I can see the attraction, especially for people who grew up with them in the 1990s.

4 Likes

You can do that at just the Cheesecake Factory. They have one of the most ridiculously long menus of any restaurant ever. It’s literally a book. The cheesecakes are just the last two pages.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one. Out of curiosity I just did a search, and apparently there are a few around me, just sufficiently distant that I never would run across them by accident, and they aren’t something I’d actively seek out, so…

A class-less person’s idea of classy?

4 Likes

None on my side of town, but one up where my sister lives, and one in Buckhead (wealth part of town). If we really wanted to go, we could get to one… but why do that, when we can hit up the local thai place that’s likely much better.

3 Likes

I think I first when to the cheesecake factory in the late 90’s in Vegas. It was near the back of Caesar’s Palace where somehow the tacky opulence seemed to fit right in. Back in those days they used to make a grilled chicken sandwhich on frybread that disappeared from their menu sometime in the 2010’s.

1 Like

Yeah, the food is mediocre, and the portions are too big.

1 Like

I always personally associate Cheesecake Factory with kids, sort of like I do Rainforest Cafe or Chuck E Cheese or the late lamented Farrell’s. I don’t think I’ve ever dined out there without at least one child under age 18 in our party (going back to the original location in Beverly Hills, when I was the kid in the party – although at the time I preferred RJ’s for that kind of dining out).

1 Like