Articles of Impeachment introduced for Trump by CA congressman Brad Sherman

Just think about that. Wow.

8 Likes

That is the conventional wisdom…

But it’s happened eight times so far (twice in my lifetime).

When you include those who lost election for a full term after serving the remainder of their predecessor’s term, the count goes up to nine (Gerald Ford, also in my lifetime).

When you include those who weren’t even nominated to run for a full term (basically, “primaried” by their own party), the count goes to thirteen.

I think we need to reevaluate how difficult it is to defeat a sitting president; I don’t think it’s as hard as we make it out to be.

Edit to add:

For comparison, thirteen presidents have served two or more consecutive terms.

7 Likes

He literally said on National television that he fired Comey over the Russia investigation.

14 Likes

Thanks for the hard facts. I can’t argue with the facts, but let me point out that only Carter and Bush 41 have been defeated as elected sitting presidents in the last 75 years or so, whereas Seven presidents (Ike, Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, Bush43 and Obama have been re-elected*. It’s not unheard-of, but the recent odds are against it.

And I stand by my suggestion that it would be easier to defeat Trump than Pence, especially if Pence has a year or two to seem presidential.

*It’s possible I missed something.

2 Likes

I one hundred percent agree with you about this :+1:

2 Likes

Sure, but except for that…

7 Likes

4 Likes

Tell me that the metaphor doesn’t fit some people here, to a tee

:wink:

4 Likes

Well, in what cases are presidents who take over for someone else then re-elected. Chester Arthur, Andrew Johnson, and Gerald Ford did not get re-elected. Teddy Roosevelt, Cooledge, Harry Truman and LBJ all did get re-elected. Seems like one of the major differences is that at least in the case of Ford and Johnson, there were some connections to scandal (Johnson over reconstruction and Ford, not him, but he was right after Watergate (and wasn’t a great campaigner). All the others were for presidents who died in office (Lincoln did, too, obviously, but that was a different story, considering how Johnson split on the reconstruction issue).

Given that Pence is about as bland as Ford and honestly isn’t in any real way mainstream, I doubt he’d win re-election, going by history, at least. But who knows. I’m not sure many of us expected a Trump presidency either.

7 Likes

As always, funny AND accurate!

4 Likes

It goes great with the “nothing burger” Republicans told me to avoid, but the recipe’s apparently changed on that. You won’t believe how much Russian dressing is on it now, and every time I have one they’ve added more. Delicious!

5 Likes

Because of people like my family being the base he has. A base that will blindly blame everyone but Their Boy for anything and everything. Russia? nono that’s libtard media that’s afrade of trump telling them how it is. Protests? Pfft crybabies all of them. Saudie connections? You’re the one that keeps bleating we need to be soft on dem islamic terrists.

Etc.

1 Like

That might be true but it doesn’t change the fact that congress would be abdicating its responsibility by letting Trump remain in office.

We keep talking about the need to put country before party. Frankly if the Dems are willing to let Trump escape impeachment just so they have a better shot in 2020 then they don’t deserve to win either.

6 Likes

I work with people like this. It ain’t easy.

3 Likes

I live with these people. You get to leave part of the day.

5 Likes

Have a drink on me!

BTW the latest BS base argument is why the US should have multiple consulates in large countries? If they want visas so bad drive, walk or hitch hike to an embassy.

Headphones are a wonderful thing.

2 Likes

Cat GIF yoinked!

Also…

Also also, will celebrate by dancing with cats tonight, even though they won’t know what we’re celebrating…

6 Likes

The dance of the GIF! The dance of my people!

9 Likes

I’ve pointed out to some of these folks:

If Trump colluded with Russia to swing the election, I can only imagine that the next Democratic candidate is going to court China or some other cyber-security power to help them during the next election. And I can promise you, that they are not going to like it and wish they had done something about this past election’s interference to send the message that this is not OK and will not be let stand.

They at least shut up, even if it doesn’t sink in.

1 Like

Except ‘oh it’s not ok when you do it but it’s fine when i do it.’ IE every sex scandal ever and how for a long stretch it seemed like every loud anti-gay-rights wonk got outed as fucking their interns.

1 Like