As anti-Semitic bomb threats continue, ADL office evacuated in San Francisco

Fascinatingly, there’s actually a significant faction of Christian Dominionists who see both Christians and Jews as the protagonists in a global war against Satan (a.k.a. Islam and other religions). They have all the trappings you’d expect of fundamentalist Christians, but they also wave around the Israeli flag and appreciate Jewish traditions.

Not to argue with your larger point, which is that most bigots have a pretty broad definition of “other”. But also there’s always interesting nuance and contradiction on all sides which gets highlighted in moments like this.

Not that this is gonna sway any of your right wing friends, but…

10 Likes

So… your response to this is a six-year old opinion piece that seems to simplify both the “Park51” issue and the ADL’s response to it quite a bit, and also calls for the ADL’s dissolution?

Isn’t that, like, kind of staking the victims of hate groups against each other? :unamused:

Trying to end on a more positive note,

4 Likes

This has got to be conflicting AF for the neoconservative backbone of the modern Republican party. Knee-jerk support of militarized Zionism and expansion of the West Bank has been a fundamental principle ever since Kissinger became the golden-boy of rationalizing killing poor unarmed civilians.

I’d love to see a day where the defense of Jews didn’t come automatically with the assault on Palestinian people. Wouldn’t it be great to live in a world where someone could find out I’m a Jew and not be able to assume I’m pro-settler before I make some perfunctory declaration?

4 Likes

Donald Trump just blamed the Jews:

Mother. Fuck.

16 Likes

Fine, throw them in the Southern states, wall it off, let them live in stupidity.

2 Likes

No its not. The ADL actively joined with the hate groups against the Park51 mosque. They threw away most of their own moral authority by doing that. They should have stood with the mosque the way those muslims have stood with the jewish cemeteries. At the very least they could have kept silent. Instead they chose to ally with the haters. They don’t get a free pass on hypocrisy of that level.

4 Likes

The cartoon has been around for years.

In fact, its been around so long its been appropriated for other false-flag charges:

3 Likes

Oh for crying out loud… there is certainly no lack of idiots in any faith or conviction, but I wonder if that point really needs to be driven home in a thread that is about hate crimes against a particular group.

1 Like

I really hope that with all the surveillance capability that the US has, they can find and obliterate whoever is behind this ASAP.

Trust the EDL to ineptly modify a shitty image using MS Paint.

3 Likes

I’m honestly surprised that you’re not calling these hoaxes, given that you did the same for the upswing in anti-Muslim attacks, and you’ve also previously stated that Trump wasn’t proven as antisemitic to your satisfaction. Oh, and that you can’t say with certainty what you’d consider to be a warning sign of fascism.

8 Likes

Well that should put to rest any claims that he’s not anti-Semitic.

Should but won’t.

4 Likes

As far as I know, none of the bomb threats or cemetery desecrations have been proven to be staged. Unless that starts to happen, and happen regularly, I will assume that these are cases of legitimate hate crimes.

As far as you knew the upswing in anti-Muslim hate crimes was real but that didn’t prevent you from making a completely unsupported claim that they were hoaxes or “misunderstandings”. In fact you have yet to retract that claim so I assume you still believe it.

5 Likes

Not quite. There were a bunch of incidents that were found to be hoaxes, and some claimed Islamophobic incidents that turned out not to be, including a couple of murders, if I recall correctly. There have been prosecutions for filing a false report in some of the incidents. Yasmin Seweid, Michael Kee, Saida Chatti, Gary Nathaniel Moore, Kashif Parvaiz, Kassim Alhimidi, and Anthony Mohamed are some of the people who have admitted to, and been prosecuted for fabricating Islamophobic hate crimes.
The majority of those incidents, and the ones that were found to be false but not prosecuted, were instances of the perpetrator blaming Islamophobia to distract from personal responsibility for an incident. The anti-Jewish incidents seem to be completely different in nature. The scale is much larger, and the incidents are documented to have happened. The cemeteries were certainly vandalized, and many of the bomb threats were recorded, or at least reported by a large number of different people.

DONALD TRUMP IS THE LEAST ANTI-SEMITIC PERSON YOU WILL EVER MEET!!!

I know this because he told us. Instead of answering the question about how his administration would combat anti-Semitism.

14 Likes

Your claims were “not quite” accurate because they were completely false. When asked for evidence that the “vast majority” of anti-Muslim hate crimes were false all you could offer was a handful of carefully selected minor incidents, none of which were hate crimes, but which you, still without evidence, claimed were enough to establish a “pattern”.

In the future check the facts before you make accusations.

4 Likes

How about from now on, if you want to rage at me about something OT, you can PM me or start a new thread. I will do my best to read and respond . That way, we won’t fill threads about important issues with these sorts of distractions. This thread is about ongoing threats to the US Jewish community, including a JCC where I used to send my kids.

I’m not raging. In the context of this discussion it’s interesting that you acknowledge hate crimes against the Jewish community but have no qualms making false claims about others.

9 Likes