As Coronavirus infections near 100,000 worldwide, fear of mass deaths for the poor

The tRumpers will take this as evidence that you just can’t trust those so called “scientists”, I guarantee it.

Not “this fuckwitted administration is hobbling the people who are best prepared to deal with this sort of thing, and that’s why everything is fucky”…

4 Likes

I swear I’m not making this up: trump just said he purposely kept everyone on the cruise ship and forced it to stay off the coast and not be allowed to dock TO KEEP INFECTED COUNTS IN USA DOWN

ie. if they are on the ship in international waters it doesn’t count as US infectection

holy hell, we knew he’s evil but that’s next level

5 Likes

Where did he say this?

during one of the interviews at his CDC visit today, not sure who exactly was standing behind him and making frowny faces while he was saying that, what a total clown

if you can find the video online it’s definitely in there, it’s also in the AP article

"He said he’d prefer that people exposed to the virus on a cruise ship be left aboard so they wouldn’t be added to the count for the nation’s total number of infections. "

3 Likes

228 in US when this was posted, 330 this evening

2 Likes

The number of people around the world who are infected with the new coronavirus is close to 100,000 as of Friday

No - it’s 100,000 who have caught it - including those who have got better, those who still have it, and those who have died.

1 Like

I don’t think most of the free world is comfortable with calling Trump “leader of the free world”. Really hoping his legacy in the US is promptly erased.

4 Likes

Spanish flu was very quick and efficient, people developed symptoms and were dead within hours.

I had Legionnaires, it had a ~10 day incubation, then suddenly got acute (like kills you in a few hours acute), luckily I was sitting in the ER when that happened thinking I was suffering from dehydration.

I suspect that the Spanish flu was probably more like that

7 Likes

There is only so much of this you can lay at Trump’s feet. American regulatory agencies have been slowly defanged under both party’s administrations. The FEC should have been minding the store in 2008, instead they were asleep at the wheel. Obama’s justice department should have sent those crooks to jail, instead they got bonuses. Which only emboldened hucksters like Trump.

We can impeach him, or vote him out, but the damage to the reputation of the US is going to be much harder to repair, if it ever happens.

1 Like

Most of the non-US population already thought that the “leader of the free world” thing was ridiculous arrogant nonsense. Long before Trump came into the picture.

We also snicker a bit about the assorted US-only “World Championship” events.

16 Likes

No, it’s 100,000 confirmed infections, way more people have caught it.

In the long run, that will increase infections in the US of A even more, because we already know that the infection spreads very well on cruise ships, and ultimately he can’t leave them to die out there - at least not as long as Americans are on board.

I think we best discard the entire concept of “evil” once and for all, it does not help us make sense of what is happening in the world and find an appropriate response.

Trump I is a self-centered ignorant asshole, a pathological liar, is a product of this society, and he’s probably mentally ill.

Oh, if you show some humility, you will be able to build up a new reputation.

Agreed. But the 100,000 - incomplete though it certainly is - refers to people who have caught the virus, not just to those who currently have it.

As for the real numbers - just for starters I find it hard to believe that Indonesia has only got four cases as they’re claiming. I worry that they might blow up big time.

2 Likes

FFS @boingboing your literally now making pages so hard to read with all the ads and crap…but now ads for useless face masks.

Your helping spread mis info… I’ve had it. No more boing boing gor me, site is frkn impossible

Use an adblocker, dude. Maybe a script-blocker, too, plus stuff like EFF’s Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere.

3 Likes

Listening to Trump, I’m reminded of Trevor Noah’s comparison of Trump to an African dictator. He hasn’t gone full Mbeki, but he’s lurching in that direction.

2 Likes

It was a militaristic aspirational title we never lived up to, we know. We also know that the World Wrestling Federation isn’t legit, and the World Series is a misnomer.

The problem is not that the USA “didn’t live up to it”. The problem is that the USA ever thought that it had the right to such arrogant hubris.

It’s somewhat related to this:

Excerpt from this.

10 Likes

You’re bringing out a lot of copypasta to apparently argue me out of a mindset I haven’t had since Reagan wasn’t elected for the first time, and I was suddenly painfully aware the nation of my birth might cause extinction of all life on earth and I became active in the Nuclear freeze movement. I know you don’t know me, but “leader of the free world” is an ironic turn of phrase in my circles. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

There’s an old saying that we call the 6 Ps. “Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance”. This asshat has never planned anything in his life, except how to get burger delivered at midnite. If he was competent, we (the people in the US) wouldn’t find ourselves in dire straights and behind the rest of the world in health care, gun control, etc. The list goes on.

7 Likes

Up to 375 this morning. And if trump and company had not defunded the agencies responsible for testing we might know its worse than it looks.

4 Likes