As Coronavirus infections near 100,000 worldwide, fear of mass deaths for the poor

8 Likes

I have been thinking about what a more humble society would look like, for a very long time.

And the more that thought expands my mind, the less it resembles any kind of nationalism at all.

-which isn’t surprising, given how important multinational companies have become in our lives. They can’t really be said to have been regulated very effectively by governments at all. Rather, national governments have become a convenient way for them to manage their labor needs, their customer base, their inputs and outputs. A convenient government glove to wear over an effective corporate fist.

And when that glove gets too dirty to be useful any more, it can be discarded in favor of a new tax shelter, a different company headquarters. National patriotism is for chumps.

The only way I can imagine feeling good about myself in the global company I keep, is to globalize a certain set of values as effectively as has been globalized greed and pollution and labor exploitation.

In its simplest form, it translates into discovering the absolute fairest price for something/anything/everything and accepting nothing less and nothing more than that price.

The exact value of that price may be impossible to pin down, moment to moment, but humanity now has the math for that kind of problem, in a way we did not have back when capitalism was overtaking feudalism.

3 Likes

Best (worst) “Both Sides” headline of the day:

5 Likes

Minnesota?

2 Likes

There’s a reason the “nice” is in quotes…

1 Like

all I want for xmas this year is for trumpkins/pence to catch covid19

1. Nancy freakin Pelosi would be acting president (!)
  2. Their lying, slandering, cheating bleep won’t be able to campaign

and looks like we may get our dream since CPAC attendees are now being diagnosed with covid19

4 Likes

466 on the Hopkins tracking map this morning.

2 Likes

it’s going to explode this week as Quest and Labcorp can do testing starting Monday, of course they may be severely pressured to hide the numbers instead like Florida does

hard to believe this a democracy, it most certainly doesn’t care about its citizens, even knowledge is kept in the dark

the low verified count has doubled in about 24 hrs, no doubt these numbers will ramp up radically this week.

3 Likes

[quote=“lava, post:27, topic:164388”]

603 today. Some rough reckoning:

466 to 603 is growth of 1.29%
375 to 466 is growth of 1.24%
that is tracking very close to the overall growth of between 1.15-1.25% worldwide. China is flattening now, so we can expect the rest of the world to experience exponential growth for a while before it flattens. If it flattens sooner it will be because we at least saw it coming.

5 Likes

China’s curve flattened largely due to some truly impressive quarantine procedures. Not practical in most of the West. And, as the restrictions are eased and the economy starts up again, whether that flattening endures shall be seen. As for the rest of the world, the word for the day is exponential growth, which causes anyone in medicine to shiver uncontrollably. Still, a long way from the end of the beginning.

BTW, yes, we saw it coming. We did nothing. We have no excuses.

14 Likes

FavoriteHospitableAstarte-size_restricted

7 Likes
5 Likes

today’s rate: 603 to 761 = 1.26% growth

By next tuesday there will be 3600 cases.
By the end of the month there will be 85,000 cases.
40 days out from today at this rate will be 360,000 cases.

At least if we continue to do nothing.

2 Likes

Honestly, the time to “do something” was about 3 weeks ago. At this point, we are talking mitigation, not control. Epidemiologists talk about it as case, case, case, cluster, cluster, BOOM! We are just pre-BOOM and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it as a society. As individuals, we should be practicing very good hygiene, be able to self-quarantine for 14 days if needed, care for our elderly and avoid taxing the medical system any more than absolutely necessary. Buckle in peoples, the ride gets bumpy here.

10 Likes
6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.