Ashes of aunt stolen from family auto on road trip to spread them

Originally published at: Ashes of aunt stolen from family auto on road trip to spread them | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Somewhere somebody is trying to smoke Anne Laine’s ashes.

4 Likes

Just an FYI if you ever have to scatter ashes, look up well ahead of time what the state laws are. Apparently in Cali you need written approval for scattering ashes in federal and public lands

8 Likes

For ceremonies at sea, there are federal regulations to follow:

7 Likes

Ehh, skip all those pesky regulations and just dump my ashes in the kiddie pool at the Oaks Community Center. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes
4 Likes

That’s one of those “only if they find out” situations. Even then it’s unlikely anyone is really going to make a major case out of it.

5 Likes

If you do it on private property without permission you’re likely to get a stern talking-to and asked to please leave.

4 Likes

If i was scattering ashes i would want to do it by taking my time to properly honor them, rather than hurry and worry about getting in trouble. But people have different priorities, i’m just posting info here in case its useful to anyone.

1 Like

I’m imagining the stealthy approach preferred by Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption. Everybody in the family gets a little bag of ashes to empty through a hole in one pocket as they walk around …

2 Likes

I have scattered ashes on the California coast with my family. Unless you’re planning on doing it in front of a ranger station or something there’s really no reason you’d have to be hurried or furtive about it.

There’s a helluva lot of coastline and if anyone out there cares about ash-scatterers they are relatively few and far between.

3 Likes

Edwina Bowl. Bowl Edwina.

1 Like

“If you do it on private property without permission you’re likely to get a stern talking-to and asked to please leave.”

My Uncle’s last request was to be buried on top of a mountain at a ski resort that I’m not going to name. My cousin is a goody goody and tried to go through official channels. Finally she ran into someone in authority that basically said “listen, people hike here all the time in the off season. I’m sure there are permits etc… that need to be filed for disposal of human remains. If it’s ashes, and you fill in the hole, what we don’t know won’t hurt us”. He’s currently buried off to the side of his favorite run in a little copse of trees.

3 Likes

Wow, Disney is leaving money on the table. They need to make a mouse-eared ash pit and charge $350 to dump grandma’s ashes.

1 Like

This is one of those things I’d never given much thought to, until I found myself in a situation where I had some of my late partners ashes given to me. Her mum is having a tree planted in a park next to where she lives, with a plaque to remember her, and will put Jo’s ashes around the tree, and I was going to do something similar; I was given a rose bush, which shares its name with Joey, and I had planned to bury my share in a sealed jar by the rose, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it, or scatter her ashes, it felt too much like losing her all over again.
They’re in a lovely ceramic jar that looks like marble, with the lid sealed in place, along with some of her personal jewellery, where I can see them. I’ve just realised it’s almost three months to the day since I lost her, too. :cry:

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you, usually I’m ok, but every so often something triggers me and I have a wobble. I’ll never get over losing her, just accepting of the fact she’s gone. It’s still early days.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.