Associated Press sues State Dept. over Hillary Clinton's emails

[Permalink]

1 Like

Good. I canā€™t believe they let her keep her own email account. It isnā€™t like anyone could have plausibly known that it wasnā€™t a huge deal. We all flipped out when Bush ā€œlostā€ all those emails and Palin was found to be using her own email account while she was Governor and for good reason.

Frankly, Clinton should be forced to hand over every single email in her account and let the state department figure out what is work-related and what isnā€™t for FOIA requests. It is the only way weā€™ll ever know if she handed everything over and if things are missing or deleted. Anything less will inevitably lead to trust issues and questions about her covering something up.

3 Likes

If Benghazi and E-mail/gate is what the G0P is resting itā€™s 2016 hopes on, well good luck in 2016, that ainā€™t going to pull Hillary out of the 2016 race, and it sure wonā€™t keep her outā€™a the White House.

FACT!

3 Likes

YAY same old mediocrity.

1 Like

Name your ā€œpolitical poisonā€, itā€™s all out thereā€¦

Iā€™m puzzled. Didnā€™t she just announce the release of all these emails? So the AP is suing to force the very thing she just promised. Well I suppose itā€™s work for the starving lawyers.

Source? I read something about her lawyers turning over emails from the account that were state business, but not about turning over everything. I trust her lawyers to pick out which ones are state business about as far as I can throw them.

Source: NPR, about 20 minutes ago. And 25, and 30, and 35 minutes ago, they have nothing else to talk about.

Also, maybe you know something terrible about the integrity of the ones doing the sifting. I donā€™t have any information on that score.

1 Like

Oh. I havenā€™t looked at todayā€™s news. Well thatā€™s great news!

It has nothing to do with if she actually did anything. It would simply be used to call into question her integrity in the future at any time. Thatā€™s part of the reason we have transparency laws in the first place.

I believe that email left the computer some time back around '92.

3 Likes

It might.

All Reps need to do is demoralize Dems into not turning out for Hillary.

If they can get some people who are a bit on the fence or not a big fan of her fuckery to stay at home or vote independent, they can leverage their massive base of frothing idiots and arrogant libertarians into voting for whatever stooge they put up instead and BOOM. 8 more years of idiots.

The Democrats need to stop treating a Hilary candidacy like an inevitability and need to get some other people up there.

6 Likes

I keep getting my hopes up that something will destroy Clinton and sheā€™ll have to pull out of the race very soon. We need Bernie Sanders for president, not yet another shitty, family dynasty in perpetual power.

8 Likes

This. Email scandal or not.

Letā€™s make sure weā€™ve got the best candidate, not just the one who feels most entitled to the presidency.

4 Likes

[quote=ā€œDaedalus, post:11, topic:53477ā€]
The Democrats need to stop treating a Hilary candidacy like an inevitability and need to get some other people up there.
[/quote]Bernie Sanders. We the people just need to show him some support and heā€™ll do it.

1 Like

I like Sanders. Elizabeth Warren would be fucking amazing, too, though I donā€™t know that she wants the position. The challenge those two face is that itā€™s easy to write off lefty coast-folk. Itā€™d probably be hopeless to put Russ Feingold back in the running, but I like him, too.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œDaedalus, post:15, topic:53477ā€]
Elizabeth Warren would be fucking amazing
[/quote]Agreed. Iā€™d love to see Warren/Sanders or Sanders/Warren.

[quote=ā€œDaedalus, post:15, topic:53477ā€]
The challenge those two face is that itā€™s easy to write off lefty coast-folk.
[/quote]Thatā€™s why I hope some soul-crushing scandal hits Clinton and forces her to pull out soon. Iā€™m not sure Sanders can beat her (but Iā€™d sure like to see him try). But, if this country is faced between Sanders and rightwing nutjobs and/or Bush dynasty, I think heā€™d win in a landslide. The country is ready for someone who is willing to criticize Obamaā€™s failings, but is also ready to take on the far right corporatist right wing.

2 Likes

I donā€™t necessarily share your optimism, but Iā€™d support that reality. At any rate, we can all agree that the idea of Hillary Clinton as president gives a lot of democrats a bit of an ā€œā€¦ickā€¦ā€ feeling, and that this would probably be enough for a rightwing nutjob in a competently-run campaign to fuck us over for another decade.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œDaedalus, post:17, topic:53477ā€]
I donā€™t necessarily share your optimism
[/quote]Obama ran on a leftwing platform consisting of single payer (not Obama/RomneyCare) along with anti-bankster, anti-disparity and anti-war agendas. He won in a landslide on that progressive platform with the highest voter turnout in 40 years. I think someone like Sanders could easily also win in a landslide.

Of course, Obama didnā€™t follow through on most of his leftist agendas or even just try and fail (which would have been better than nothing). However, Sanders has a solid record of following through on most of his promises or at least trying and fighting.

I think the mission now is to get the word out to a disillusioned country that Sanders isnā€™t just making hollow promises. Unlike Obama, heā€™ll actually fight tooth and nail for progressive agendas like single payer, a living wage, etc. once heā€™s elected president.

Iā€™m not incredibly optimistic we can get the word out past the wall of disillusionment and the lazy apathy that goes along with it, but I think we should damn well try if we give one shit about the future of this country weā€™re going to leave for kids and future generations.

No matter what happens, when I leave this world Iā€™d like to at least have the sense of pride that I tried and fought against this horrific direction our country has been going in.

At any rate, we can all agree that the idea of Hillary Clinton as president gives a lot of democrats a bit of an ā€œā€¦ickā€¦ā€ feeling

Unfortunately, sheā€™s still the likely frontrunner whether smarter progressives agree with that or not. Frankly, I really do hope she gets taken down and out by a scandal or Slick Willie screws things up somehow and becomes too much of a distraction, but Iā€™m not counting on that either.

If anything, Iā€™m pretty pessimistic in that regard.

that this would probably be enough for a rightwing nutjob in a competently-run campaign to fuck us over for another decade.

The insane thing is itā€™s looking like weā€™re heading towards a Clinton dynasty versus Bush dynasty competition. That should embarrass every American for an entire host of reasons.

The key word is ā€œnastyā€.

5 Likes

i feel the need to point out that Bill and Hilary do not share any DNA so calling it a dynasty is kind of unfair. Also I like to believe that Hil has been tempered by being a target of the right for so many years and hope that she has a few finely prepared zingers to use in the debates that could just lay out the hopeful person in the other corner. I think this is what they are really worried about. Nothing is going to surprise her when it comes to the smears they are accustomed to. I donā€™t think we would see her look like a deer in the headlights like Obama did in the second debate.

I do think we are going to see two women go head to head for the job this time. That should be refreshing.

The Dem who gets the nomination has to be centrist and ready to at least say that they are willing to throw some missiles around in defense of ā€œthe homeland.ā€ Just a fact, I believe. The land between the coasts is full of people very concerned about their safety. (No insult to Colorado, by the way, a coastal state in the middle of the country.)

I had the same reaction. Hillary specifically asked the State Dept. to release all of her emails. So the AP is suing to, what, encourage them? Iā€™m definitely not seeing her as the ā€˜bad guyā€™ here.