At least 10 dead in "racially motivated" Buffalo supermarket shooting

Coughlin is an interesting study in American Fascism. While I don’t want to go overboard on drawing parallels, Coughlin worked the nativist crowd in a very Trumpian manner. Radio was the Twitter of his day and so long as Coughlin had a national megaphone he wielded considerable influence. After his radio programs and his newspaper were silenced (cancel culture!) he went back to being the insignificant little swine he always should have been. It’s worth reading the history of his movement (called with bitter irony “Social Justice”) to see both how he grew his flock and how the government and (reluctantly) the Church put him out of business. The system of licensing of radio stations was developed in part to find a way to force him off the air.

A big difference between now and then is that “the media” consisted of radio and print. Without access to these a small-timer had little chance of building a national following. As we’ve seen, the Internet grants equal time–if not an outright advantage–to the most deplorable factions as long as they bring in the advertising dollars. Kicking The Donald off Twitter has reduced his day-to-day influence but his minions are able to carry on in a way they couldn’t have in pre-Internet times.

18 Likes

Given that nearly half of Republicans have now bought into this white supremacist conspiracy as a result of them, we’re going to be seeing a lot more of this.

4/8chan aren’t reaching half of Republican voters, though - Fox is.

29 Likes

Sometimes the tributary’s more signifcant than the source.

To hell with all the evil racist POS.

20 Likes

He’s white. Of course they de-escalated. Sigh…

29 Likes

18 Likes

23 Likes

Hate to see this happen anywhere, even worse to have it happen so close to home. Due to the demographics of this area however I knew deep down that as long as angry white men continue to get radicalized it was going to happen here sooner rather than later. What does surprise me is how far the shooter traveled. The AP is reporting he’s from Conklin, NY. Which is more or less equidistant to several other major cities including Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, NYC and even Philadelphia.

14 Likes

4/8chan are reaching well more than half of Republican voters through Fox.

16 Likes

And Infowars of course

13 Likes

. . . and nothing changed . . .
. . . and all went on, as it ever has . . .

3 Likes

Not in this topic. Not anymore as a way for ammosexuals to derail. I get that you’re being sarcastic, but you just inspired a new post in BB’s anti-pattern catch-all topic in firearms, so thank you.

ETA: this is not a call for us not to discuss the racist motivation behind the shooting, just a way to forestall ammosexuals again using it as a way to downplay the core issue in any mass shooting in the U.S.

24 Likes

I am in Texas this week, returning from my home in Germany to visit my parents. I was absolutely shocked to see this sign in an airport:

Tell me again guns aren’t the problem? Where else in the world would you need such a sign? Where do people go around armed all the time, making it easy for terrorists to mingle?

31 Likes

Yet another messed-up aspect of this already deeply messed-up story.

20 Likes

TeeVee talkers and the press need to stop saying “racially motivated” and accurately report the perp and the movement as racist and eliminationist. They’re looking to provoke and implement genocide.

The groups and forums should be treated like they would other terrorist organizations and individuals. You can bet they would have been shut down pronto.

36 Likes

What She Said GIF by The Free Mama

26 Likes

I’ve read elsewhere that the motherfucking white terrorist plagiarised much of his ‘manifesto’ from the New Zealand mosque terrorist, who’s a motherfucking racist Australian.

Angry Michael Eklund GIF by SYFY

22 Likes

Turner Diaries
It seems they are determined to pull our nation down on their own heads.
This lethal genocidal hate has now metastasized within the alt right. I haven’t
used a firearm (whacking varmints) since I left the farm (in 1967) in upstate N.Y.

I really don’t want to start packing one now.

7 Likes
26 Likes

That part is dead wrong; none of this shit is sustainable, and it will come to a head at some point, probably sooner rather than later.

29 Likes

Yeah. This isn’t a steady state. It’s accelerationist.

People have a goal and are looking to advance it.

26 Likes