At least 11 killed in Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

The veep has already started with “thoughts and prayers.” Should be thundering chorus shortly.

8 Likes

Why do I suspect that essentially none of the prayers are kaddish? That to a rough approximation none of the thoughts are of tzadekah for the needy in the names of the slain?

16 Likes

Heaven forfend that such heathen terminology should pass those holy lips! I say sir, that is positively OFFENSIVE! (/s)

4 Likes

I have a Jewish friend in Pittsburgh, but she’s ok.

16 Likes

Very glad to hear that… she must be scared out of her mind right now…

Was this her synagogue or did she know anyone who attended it?

12 Likes

11 Likes

Researchers who study social media say they are seeing an increase in anti-Semitic posts from far-right users of Instagram and Twitter, and that the services aren’t doing anything about it.

Fixed NBC’s first graf for them.

Meanwhile, Twitter:

19 Likes

How is it that anyone still listens to that loom, Farrakhan? Pretty much he destroyed the NOI that Malcolm built, he probably had a hand in his assassination, and now he’s aligning himself with Scientology…

16 Likes

Hey now, there is nothing wrong with looms…:wink:

Holy crap he is old - like 85. But they have like ~50,000 followers (high estimates). I suspect his rhetoric speaks to a lot of people :confused:

7 Likes

LoL… Obviously, I mean loon! But I’ll keep it…

I guess he still speaks to some.

9 Likes

Yesterday a man is arrested for trying to bomb Democrats and tigers who have spoken out against the current administration; today a man is arrested for killing people just because they are Jews.

Both openly proclaim their support for Trump. But rather than even the minimal amount of self-reflection whether his actions or words might be a contributing factor, the President of the United States blames the media and the victims. And the cowards in his party stay silent.

27 Likes

It’s just like other demagogues, he is blaming the ills of his people on another. In this case the Jews.

8 Likes

Tamika Mallory called him the GOAT (greatest of all time) and Carmen Perez took pictures of her and Farrakhan being buddies. Unfortunately there are people in positions of social influence who are happy to praise Farrakhan - an outspoken anti-Semite, homophobe, transphobe and, frankly, frequent user of sexist dog-whistles - even though they themselves claim to be feminists and allies. To be clear, that was just a couple of Women’s March coordinators out of thousands who did the hard work without the benefit of a media spotlight. But as long as progressives in positions of influence lend him their credibility, the social media companies won’t take away his megaphone because all they care about is profit.

ETA: Just to be clear, know you already know all that. Posting it for general benefit.

Also…

I’d be amazed if he didn’t.

10 Likes

Trump’s mouthpieces are reporting that he’s “monitoring the situation”.

1. Big fucking deal.
  2. The only thing he’s seriously monitoring are the opinion polls.
17 Likes

Is the Fox poll worth watching?

Well, you and I know it isn’t…

7 Likes

Dude’s lost the thread, so, maybe you were right first time?

7 Likes

He hated Malcolm, because he was more talented and had the courage of his convictions. Farrakhan was always jealous of how effectively he was able to grow NOI.

10 Likes

Part of the reason I’m so pissed today is that I have relatives who attend Tree of Life. Thank god they weren’t there.

29 Likes

Holy shit, I’m so glad they are safe and weren’t there. Send along my condolences and best wishes to your relatives and the community there. No one should have to fear practicing their faith. No one. I wish humanity could learn actual lessons from history, but on days like this, we just seem incapable of it.

20 Likes

Fucking hell, this is spot on. Preach!

13 Likes