Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

OK, I believe him.

He was still referencing a brutal, unjust system by which the outcome of a legal dispute would be settled through bloodshed instead of presentation of evidence. So fuck him anyway.

14 Likes

Oh, well, that’s good enough for me. He’s been doing a great job so far.

16 Likes

Since the deadly riot Jan. 6, lawmakers have suggested — not, so far, backed up by evidence — that far-right colleagues may have helped plan or guide the attack.

I take extreme exception to the evidence bit. Maybe, one could say there is no conclusive evidence, but we sure as fuck have evidence.

14 Likes

Did Biden ever publicly vow a “safe inauguration” for Trump when he was the outgoing VP? I think not! Clearly this administration is more considerate and security-minded than the previous one.

18 Likes

Overheard on Colbert: “…MAGAwaffen…”

11 Likes

I think it is noteworthy that Ghouliani thinks Game of Thrones is a documentary. Fitting, really, coming from people who used The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, as a how-to book.

6 Likes

Yes, do we want people clad in furs and redneck cosplay to kill this guy’s security people, force him to hide in barricaded offices, have his stuff stolen, and make feel his life is threatened where he is supposed to feel safe, all while gleefully livestreaming it? What are we, animals? Give this insurrectionist filth his privacy.

13 Likes

Priola apparently resigned from her Cleveland Schools position on January 7, when her identity became known in the wake of the riots. In a colorfully disturbing resignation letter, Priola reportedly listed several reasons for quitting, including that she was refusing to get a COVID-19 vaccine; that she “will be switching paths to expose the global evil of human trafficking and pedophilia, including in our government and children’s services agencies”; and that she does not agree with paying her teacher’s union dues, “which help fund people and groups that support the killing of unborn children.”

14 Likes

Excerpt: Republican lawmakers in Congress… are mobilizing a new cycle of grievance against the forces they see arrayed against Trumpism. Down the road, they may well be able to engineer the sort of electoral coup that Trump could not in 2020. “Republicans have pursued a project of minority rule for decades, exploiting structural features of American politics and opportunistically shaping rules in their own favor,” wrote Zeynep Tufekci in the Atlantic. “Already, there are signs that many in the GOP intend to respond to their loss in the Senate by doubling down on disenfranchising voters in the name of fighting the ‘election fraud’ they falsely convinced millions is widespread.”

17 Likes

Jesus, a high school therapist. I mean, imagine the potential damage this wormtongue could do, whispering in kids’ ears. It’s good she isn’t there anymore. QAnon pablum should instantly activate a “1000 yards from schools” restraining order.

18 Likes

To me, it’s revelatory that Qanon bullshit has become her core belief system, and has supplanted rational thought.

There was a new york times article on how the road to “friends” and “likes” runs though extremism.

10 Likes

Not just wild speculation on the part of twitter, but a basis for prosecution.

15 Likes

Rioters wanted to ‘capture and assassinate’ lawmakers, prosecutors say. A note left by the ‘QAnon Shaman’ is evidence.

20 Likes

Stupid paywall. Does it mention what the note said?

4 Likes

They’re playing it close to the vest.

“ Officials now say they have found clues to that question from one of the mob’s most distinctive figures: Jacob Anthony Chansley, the shirtless, tattooed man often referred to as “QAnon Shaman,”who stood out in a headdress made of coyote skin and buffalo horns.

In a court filing late on Thursday, federal prosecutors in Phoenix wrote that “strong evidence, including Chansley’s own words and actions at the Capitol, supports that the intent of the Capitol rioters was to capture and assassinate elected officials in the United States government.”

The 18-page memo, which asked a judge to keep Chansley detained before his trial, said the 33-year-old Arizona man left an ominous note for Vice President Pence at his desk in the Senate chamber: “It’s only a matter of time, justice is coming.”

-In a headdress - they should just puncture his pompous balloon and call it a hat.

21 Likes

Not sure those are heavily vetted positions. Ours was a notorious gossip. If any child went to her with a problem, the whole school knew in a few hours.

If only she’d had some sort of training or education to protect her from toxic peer pressure.

14 Likes

The lawyer for the “QAnon shaman” who was part of the deadly siege of the Capitol last week publicly petitioned President Donald Trump on Thursday to pardon his client.

15 Likes
14 Likes

I finally read the opinion piece by Charles Blow about calls for unity, published a couple days ago. He ends strong:

It seems to me, the “unity” of America is often conflated with the silence of the oppressed and the pacification of the oppressors.

As long as you can put your foot on my neck without the protestations of your neighbors or the wails of my pain, America is happy. That, to America, is unity: quiet capitulation.

19 Likes

36 Likes