Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

(free link)

8 Likes

“The false statements were made with reckless disregard to the truth,” prosecutors said, and were part of a plan to get the Georgia legislature to set aside the valid results of the presidential elections.

Ellis came to tears as she addressed the court, saying she was relying on information that more experienced lawyers provided her and should have investigated further. Had she known what she knows now, she said, she would have declined to represent Trump.

All of the defendants who have pled guilty have received similar plea deals.

Ellis had been charged with violating state anti-racketeering laws and solicitation of violation of an oath by a public officer. She was granted $100,000 bail and previously pleaded not guilty.

Ellis has been an outspoken critic of her former friend in recent months, calling Trump a “malignant narcissist” in an interview back in September.

“I simply can’t support him for elected office again,” Ellis said. “Why I have chosen to distance is because of that frankly malignant narcissistic tendency to simply say that he’s never done anything wrong.”

The 38-year-old was speaking on her show on American Family Radio, a rightwing evangelical network run by the American Family Association, a non-profit that by its own description has been “on the frontlines of America’s culture war” since 1977.

ETA: I note: use of passive voice “false statements were made” and though pleading guilty she is not quoted in the article saying that she was wrong, or that she is sorry.

ETA:

Guessing she is credible. Tears. Seeming contrition. An apology letter.
:woman_shrugging:

ETA2 full version:

Still…

freddie mercury GIF

8 Likes
4 Likes

“Prosecutors had asked a judge to jail him immediately ahead of sentencing, due to a series of threatening Instagram posts in which GossJankowski allegedly targeted and released private information about FBI employees.”

Assaulting Federal Agents in court was an interesting defense strategy.

7 Likes

Owen Shroyer, who hosts a daily show on Alex Jones’s InfoWars channels, was put in solitary confinement today after his phone call from prison was posted on X stating that he intended to host a radio show while incarcerated.

Shroyer is serving a 60-day jail sentence for his role in J6.

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/alex-joness-sidekick-put-in-solitary-after-saying-he-would-host-radio-show-from-prison

9 Likes

Agents from elsewhere in the courthouse ran into the courtroom to help four U.S. Marshals and FBI staff corral GossJankowski, who has a hearing disability.

Perhaps it’s more of a listening disability? :thinking: (And why is it even relevant to the story?)

7 Likes
5 Likes

That seems way too light a sentence.

8 Likes

Giberson’s mother said that for her son, the 2020 election was like watching his favorite baseball team on a World Series run.

“You get caught up in the hype and excitement and you want to be at that winning game. I feel Larry wanted to be a part of something that he was passionate about, I know he had no intent to be caught up with the wrong crowd,” she wrote.

He’s a young man with a bright future who made a bad decision. /s

Comparing the Insurrection to the World Series. Seriously, WTAF.

15 Likes

It’s redundant but I wanted to link this thread (“Attempted Coup…”) to this one here, so… fwiw:

7 Likes

Whether [Judge] McAfee will allow such an unwieldy volume of information into the case — and the chaos it could create — is uncertain. A key question for McAfee to consider is whether [Harrison] Floyd — and potentially other defendants, whose lawyers watched Friday’s hearing with great interest — is entitled, as part of his defense, to cast doubt on an election result that has been decided.

(free link)

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

It’s legally irrelevant regarding January 6th. That’s several weeks past the Safe Harbor date, so their actions were illegal even if the election really was stolen, which it wasn’t. See the 2000 presidential election, which actually was stolen by Shrub.

7 Likes

Presumably the DA and (hopefully!) the judge know this - I guess the defense has the right to at least try the subpoena? Maybe it’s to make a successful appeal less likely?

4 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

‘Q-Anon Shaman’ Running for Congress

Jacob Chansley wants to return to the scene of the crime

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/q-anon-shaman-running-for-congress

Now the voters of a very pro-Trump district in Arizona will get to decide if an insurrectionist will return to the scene of the crime to represent them in Congress. No word yet if Chansley will campaign in his horns and face paint.

3 Likes

It would be hilarious if he didn’t apply to have his voting rights reinstated and couldn’t vote for himself.

4 Likes

I don’t think that would stop him. What’s a little voter fraud on top of insurrection?

7 Likes

Well, he already knows where the offices are, and the restrooms, and has met some members of the staff and security… I’m almost positive they will be absolutely thrilled to see him again.

2 Likes