Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

An interesting read on the strategy the FBI and DOJ are following.

“Sedition is the most serious crime that anybody could be accused of from 6 January,” Gomez said. “It’s advocating the overthrow of the US government. It involves not just talking about overthrowing democracy but having the means and wherewithal to carry out those actions.”

As more has become known about those arrested, the strategy being pursued by the FBI has also revealed itself. In several cases, people who participated in the storming of the Capitol were picked up and charged with relatively minor offenses such as trespassing or theft of mail simply as a means to get them into prosecutorial clutches.

Once in the system, more serious charges could then be added as intelligence came in. That pattern of escalating charges can be seen in the cases of Nicholas DeCarlo from Texas and Nicholas Ochs from Hawaii.

Initially, the pair were accused of unlawful entry into federal property. But new conspiracy charges were added this week in which they are alleged to have planned out their travel across state lines, raised money to pay for it, and then made the trip to Washington DC in a premeditated attempt to obstruct the certification of Joe Biden as winner of the US presidential election.

If convicted, DeCarlo and Ochs each face maximum sentences of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Also:

This week’s Washington state arrest was also of a self-declared Proud Boys leader – Ethan Nordean calls himself “sergeant of arms” of the Seattle chapter and is accused in court documents of having led a group of rioters into the Capitol.

It’s Sergeant AT Arms you fucking idiots.

18 Likes

Sergeant of arms?

15 Likes

That’s not the only thing they got wrong

The sergeant-at-arms was a personal attendant upon the king, specially charged with arresting those suspected of treason.

15 Likes

Butbut, we’re just an entertainment network. It was was uh, sarcasm, I mean, satire! No wait, parody, that’s it, parody!

9 Likes

You joke, but they did use that very comment as a successful defense in court.

5 Likes

Eschaton

Sunday, February 07, 2021

“Narrow Majority”

Remind me to keep track of when 56%+ is described this way by ABC in other contexts.

Atrios at 12:20

Unrelated, but was on the Twitter feed:

23 Likes

+13 net btw.

Can’t even thread a needle through it.

6 Likes

11 Likes

So, the Arizona Republican Party is all in on re-re-re-litigating the election, and now they think they’ve found someone dishonest enough to help them do it.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Something something fools and their money something something

5 Likes
6 Likes

The bigger question: is this enough of a lead in for capitol police to be prepared?

2 Likes

Microsoft suspends donations to politicians who backed attempt to overturn US presidential election

10 Likes
10 Likes

“I demand his immediate expulsion,” Ret. Lt. Col. Dana Allmond said at the presser. Allmond, a West Point graduate who resides in Finchem’s legislative district, said the Republican lawmaker poses a “clear and present danger” to the country and Arizona’s legislature.

12 Likes

Ok, this is just weird

his charges are described as “ Conspiracy; Conspiracy to Impede or Injure Officer; Destruction of Government Property; Obstruction of an Official Proceeding; Restricted Building or Grounds; Violent Entry or Disorderly Conduct”, in other words, a big fish.

12 Likes

More evidence that any clown can get a security clearance.

5 Likes

Weak sauce charges and release: According to this former prosecutor, it’s not a smooth deal for right-wing “patriots”.

(And of course it is White Privilege Card.)

tl;dr: Trust the plan. (Meh, I’ll trust it when it happens.)

6 Likes

Happy “first day of the second impeachment trial” day, everyone!

I can’t believe it’s been less than a month since I basically took the day off to watch this unfold in real time.

Is anyone setting up a thread for watching the impeachment proceedings?

ETA: in case you didn’t see, Mark set it up:

7 Likes