Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

Agreed. The only (admittedly vague) notion I had formed around this was that it might lay the groundwork for censuring said activity.

And on this point:

Right?!? It was killing me when the defense were arguing that this whole thing was “politically motivated” and the only purpose was to “keep him from running again” as if there couldn’t possibly be any other reason for not wanting this monster to run again! I guess if your definition of “politics” is “preserving democracy and avoiding a civil war,” yeah, it is politics…

5 Likes

Also politics:

• We need the environment to live.
  • Black people are human.
  • The planet is an oblate spheroid.
  • People should be able to eat, have a roof, medical care.
  • It’s a bad thing to lose half a million people to a manageable virus in one year.
14 Likes

Shuriken are real things, but baffling to medieval historians. The only theory I’ve heard that makes any sense is that they might have been poisoned, though having poison on every tip would have greatly increased the danger to the user as well.

1 Like

Wishful thinking and all.

12 Likes

From what I’ve read they were mostly used by samurai the exact same way European knights used tactics like throwing the pommel of their sword in a fight. You land a superficial blow to the face and open up enough space to rush in and land a blow against a foe. They were shaped in a way that let them be used like a knife, as a throwing weapon, wrapped in cloth and used to set village on fire by throwing them lit onto roofs, and poisoned or coated in feces to incapacitate key targets.

1 Like

They did a good job with their talking part. But they have overall not done a good job with the trial. Where are the fucking witnesses? Not a single one called. Maybe I will walk back my assessment that they were doing OK. But still, we need to get to the relief part of this year and just let the Republican party eat itself. GIANT SIGH.

3 Likes

I haven’t been watching (part work stuff, part plain exhaustion) so didn’t realize.
It’s a shame they didn’t call any of the officers who were attacked as witnesses.
Who else do you think would’ve been good witnesses?

7 Likes

Right? The people who were under attack hearing directly from those trying to protect them? I call gigantic bullshit. What a letdown, but it’s no surprise. Haves vs. have nots. AGAIN.

4 Likes

Or, I just thought of this, imagine calling the cop who was taking selfies with the terrorists! What would that questioning look like…

5 Likes
3 Likes

House Ethics Committee Chairwoman Becky Nutt on Friday released a letter saying the committee would take no action on the complaints, which have centered around Finchem’s involvement in the rally-turned-coup attempt.

6 Likes

22 Likes
9 Likes

I think that Minority Leader McCarthy is one of my new least-favorite people. He hasn’t denied this story (which has several republicans as sources) yet still voted to block accepting the certification of the electoral votes right after that attack, and went on to grovel to former-president Trump in Florida.

If it weren’t for the fact that I’m sure he’d commit perjury, I’d want the Democratic impeachment managers to put him on the witness stand today.

11 Likes

Since this thread has “… and Fallout” for the header, I hope this article serves as a bit of a fresh yet relevant air.

… he wove together the political and the personal to share unfathomable grief: his 25-year-old son, Tommy, killed himself on New Year’s Eve after years of struggle with depression. Tommy was buried on 5 January – the day before a violent mob mounted a deadly insurrection at the US Capitol.

Raskin, 58, also told how his daughter Tabitha and son-in-law Hank accompanied him to the Capitol that day – and had to hide under a desk.

“They thought they were going to die,” he said, his voice cracking as he recalled apologising to Tabitha, 23, for putting her in danger. In a trial focused on the excesses of a would-be strongman, Raskin’s very human displays of vulnerability have the quality of redemption.

Imagine speaking on the Senate floor, in front of umpteen cameras recording your words, tone, facial expression, every nuance, having to keep one’s shit together to do the work of leading the prosecution of this impeachment hearing… after all this.

My January was rough and I’m about the same age as Raskin.
That guy is a walking miracle.

17 Likes

Apparently, Dems might be growing some spine and may call witnesses after all. I mean, golden opportunity to drive the spike home.

They need to call one of the Proud Boys or STS leader or bullhorn ninja lady or someone who was taking their orders from Trump and will get up there and say so, either willingly or by directed questioning.

Get the capitol police up there.

Get the entire Pentagon up there.

I really don’t care. Get SOMEONE up there to testify that Trump was calling the shots that day and caused the riot.

Come on, Democrats. Let’s do this. Get the job done.

6 Likes

If I were standing near ya, I’d open my arms wide to offer a hug, if you wanted one. Some people don’t like em. I’m just saying.

3 Likes

They may call FBI agents to testify against Trump citing surveillence evidence.

3 Likes

I keep asking myself “Was anybody listening to the calls that day?”.

Maybe we should ask the Russians.

5 Likes

Right?

It’s time for the Dems to drop some big bombs here. Enough of the chit-chat. Get out the damning evidence. There’s plenty. Make it so that the vote to acquit is not simply an “opinion.” Make it as unbelievable as QAnon itself. Come on Dems!

5 Likes