Auction: Darth Vader's actual helmet from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/05/you-could-own-darth-vaders-a.html

3 Likes

I wonder if auctioning it off with the interior cleaned would reduce its value.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Geez, all you have to do is watch any episode of Antiques Roadshow ever, to learn that you should NEVER CLEAN! You don’t want to ruin the patina!

11 Likes

No problem with patina, as such. I was thinking of whatever’s left in there of Mr. Prowse’s hair (not to mention, sweat and saliva). A true collector would want that. (For the Clone Wars). :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Betcha it’s smelly in there…

7 Likes

But Darth Vader will die without his helmet!!

Oh. . . right. . . .

4 Likes

And for Pete’s sake be sure to store it in a climate-controlled area out of direct sunlight.

17 Likes

So called hat stench?

4 Likes

LOL YES!!!

3 Likes

If the auctioneer doesn’t say “I find your lack of faith disturbing” the first moment the bidding slows he can count his life’s work as wasted.

21 Likes

I get that it’s been over 30 years but the description of the missing parts and damage would definitely turn me off from buying it (if I had $500K in my couch cushions).

2 Likes

Howzabout charging the winning bidder a 50% markup and saying “I am altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.”

14 Likes

I remember seeing a lot of original Star Wars costumes in person when they were in a museum exhibit going around the country. I was surprised how cheap and shoddy they looked in person, even the ones in very well-kept condition- a little bit of distance and the intervention of a camera lens did wonders for them. I guarantee that helmet looks about a million times better in the photo than in person.

Yes, it’s still cool though

5 Likes

Go find a good picture of the Ruby Slippers. They really suck.

4 Likes

If Holy Grails are a little rich for your blood, there are other auctions afoot: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spaceballs-helmet-worn-by-rick-moranis-up-auction-1011837

7 Likes

That would make a nice gift for Mr Stevens in catering.

4 Likes

I’d pay a half-mil for that tape deck he had mounted on his chest. Y’know, the one that he used to play the Imperial March every time he entered a room.

Handy that he had a record button and all. Probably used that a lot for things like taping interrogations (Han, Leia) and people promising that they wouldn’t let the rebel fleet get away (so he could play it back to them later, as he force-choked 'em).

6 Likes

Sorry - this auction is already over.

4 Likes

The buttons are for switching between Darth voice and Brick voice.

7 Likes