Audiotapes of Michael Cohen threatening journalist released

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/01/audiotapes-of-michael-cohen-th.html

5 Likes

Christ, what an asshole!

17 Likes

So many more to come, I wager.

Hoping for the one that goes like:

“Donnie, look we both know the pee tape is real, so you have to let Putin help you hack the election”
“Yeah, OK. Long as he pays me a bunch of money”

10 Likes

I’ll sue you for…

drevil_cover

…one million dollars!

15 Likes
4 Likes

Hold on a sec - you’re going to hear a noise that sounds like I’m hanging up - but I’m not - so just keep talking

22 Likes

I suspected cohen was an idiot, but now I know.

12 Likes

I really think Cohen would have been much happier lawyering for the Mafia instead of for second rate hucksters like Trump.

The only problem of course, is that he’s too fucking over the top even for the Mafia. Tom Hagen, this guy is not.

12 Likes

It doesn’t get more accurate than this re: Cohen:

Bullies like Jordaddy never seem to grasp the Streisand Effect. Their well-paid (and, unlike Cohen, competent) lawyers, on the other hand, are only too happy to encourage them…

Heck, he’s not even Roy Cohn, who understood how to cover himself while making threats on behalf of thugs (including Il Douche).

13 Likes

Here’s the article that they are discussing in the audio. Amusingly, a large portion of the article is devoted to Cohen’s rantings.

Then towards the bottom, there’s this little tidbit:

In further irony, Trump is distancing himself from his lawyer.

That was back in 2015, wonder how that worked out for him.

4 Likes

I know, when someone makes threats against me, that I am dealing with coward and a clown.

This guy sounds like a massive clown.

4 Likes

Having lived in NY for a couple of decades, nothing about this guy’s words or manner is surprising to me. It’s pretty much exactly how I would expect a corporate lawyer to talk to someone on the phone. Hell, I got an email that sounded pretty much identical to this from a landlord who didn’t want to pay us our security deposit back, complete with a barely-veiled “you’ll never work in this town again” threat.

2 Likes

“You’re talking about Donald Trump, you’re talking about the front-runner for the GOP, presidential candidate, as well as private individual, who never raped anybody and of course understand that by the very definition you can’t rape your spouse,” Cohen said.

Hmmmm

8 Likes

23 Likes

Tim Mak is one cool cucumber.

3 Likes

It’s always noteworthy when someone bases their threats on a demonstrably incorrect legal premise (you can’t rape your wife!) and then immediately shifts to “putting all that aside…” when it’s pointed out that this hasn’t been the law in New York since 1984.

This kind of weaponized shamelessness is a superpower–it’s not hard to see what Trump values in Cohen and vice versa.

8 Likes

However, it would also be instructive to research how many lawsuits Cohen has actually filed. I suspect the threat-to-suit ratio might be high.

2 Likes

Good journalists know what constitutes defamation, so a lawsuit is basically an empty threat. The phone call is 100% thuggish scare tactics with little to back it up (and Trump has lost similar lawsuits, so money doesn’t buy everything.)

7 Likes

And the public statement ostensibly made by her was filled with phrases that Trump frequently uses (but she doesn’t), making the authorship pretty obvious. There was also that incident where the pointed to a window, telling the press she was “watching them right now” and there was no one at the window. So we’ve got a guy with a history of abusing women, whose wife mysteriously hasn’t been seen for several weeks, where the “proof of life” message was written by him. As someone put it, if it were a coworker in that situation, they would have long ago called the cops.
Best case scenario: she’s left him, but no one wants to admit it.

6 Likes

I’ve been threatened in person by people that actually wanted to maim me; this clown would have me guffawing in his face during a personal confrontation.

2 Likes