Aviation authority investigating UFOs over Ireland

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/13/aviation-authority-investigati.html

4 Likes

I know what they are.

14 Likes

Headline winner so far from coveredtruths dot com:

“UFO Seen Over Ireland Could Be Evidence That Leprechauns May Be Aliens”

17 Likes

I'm not saying it was aliens…

7 Likes

Ohhh. THAT’S what they meant by “Little Green Men.”

15 Likes

this, this right here leads to people coming up with kooky conspiracy theories. It’s a UFO to be sure but to call it a meteoroid, given the nature of the reports, is obviously silly and lazy. Find a reasonable explanation or classify it as unknown. Either is great. Just don’t toss out swamp gas, refracted light from Venus, or meteoroids to explain something that came along side an aircraft and then accelerated away. It makes the scientific community look bad, strengthens the kooks conspiracy world view, and paints the witnesses as incredible.

8 Likes

First Georgio post.

Eagerly awaiting an Irish joke involving planes, UFOs, and whiskey. I, for one, am not clever enough to come up with one.

2 Likes

These UFO buffs always look at the commonality of faerie abduction and alien abduction stories as proof that old stories of “faeries” were really just aliens that people didn’t have a framework to understand and interpreted through the myths of the time. But I don’t hear so many people suggest that “alien” abductions are really just faerie abductions that people don’t have a framework to understand and interpret through (sci-fi) myths of the time.
I mean, “extra-terrestrials weirdly similar to us who zip around faster than light to pop over to Earth to probe humans” isn’t actually any more scientific an explanation than “magic faeries,” after all.

10 Likes

It’s very interesting to me that the DOD has now essentially acknowledged the reality of some UFOs being intelligent craft likely of non-human origin, to join many other countries such as the UK, France, Belgium, and others.

Yet, this appears to be very very difficult for many humans to accept, from what I have seen. It’s like a bad allergic reaction. It… just… can’t… be!

There is a TON of extremely well-documented evidence of the reality of some UFOs being intelligent craft of non-human origin. This is probably the best compilation of such evidence that I have seen, for those brave enough to approach the issue from a Fortean perspective:

https://www.amazon.com/UFOs-Generals-Pilots-Government-Officials/dp/0307717089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542136087&sr=8-1&keywords=leslie+kean+ufo

3 Likes

Me: so, do you believe in UFOs?

Co-worker: nope.

Me: so then you think all flying objects have been identified?

Co-worker: uuuhhhhh. . . OK smart-ass, I see what you did there.

4 Likes
2 Likes

The pilot said he saw “two bright lights” over to the right which climbed away at speed.

I’m not saying it was aliens, but meteors do not “climb away at speed.”

4 Likes

ah? you mean “evidence” like that, for example?

kinda weird, that this “evidence” didnt stir up things a little in politics as in science since then, isnt it?

as it goes for the NYT-video above, its most likely the engines from a distant aircraft in infrared:

NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object

2 Likes

Could a meteor come in at such an angle as to miss the Earth entirely and zoom off into space again? It would have to be big enough not to burn off completely, but going fast enough not to be pulled to the ground by the Earth’s gravity.

If it grazed the atmosphere, it would be nowhere near any commercial or military flights. The ISS, maybe.

4 Likes

I prefer to believe they are of human origin. They’re just from the future.

“People get so hung up on specifics, they miss out on the whole thing.”

5 Likes

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

3 Likes

Anyway, aliens or no aliens - the important thing is to have an UFO clause in your contract.

1 Like

Uploading: image.png… …really…

1 Like